Lathe Change gears

Lapua

Hey guys, I have a stack of gears from an unknown metal working machine. I was thinking of using them for scrap steel on various projects I am planning. Anyone know what type of metal is common for machine shop equipment gears? They aren’t rusting, so I am guessing some type of stainless alloy.
thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.jpeg
    IMG_0499.jpeg
    566.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0500.jpeg
    IMG_0500.jpeg
    572.9 KB · Views: 31

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They are prolly worth more as gears than stock. I'd try making a list and figure out what pitch they are in order to sell or use them before I tried turning them into something else. A set of lathe change gears are worth their weight in gold to someone who got a lathe without them.

As far as metal goes, they could be literally be anything. Heck, some guys on here print plastic gears on their 3D printers.

I would doubt that they are stainless just because of the cost, but It is odd that they are not rusted at all.

Others may disagree.

mbond

Premium Member
Judging from the one on the top of the pile, they may be two part construction. That will make determining the composition harder because you can't weigh them & immerse them to get an estimate of the density of the metal.

Some kind of grey metal. Probably some kind of alloy, but it could have anything from tin to lead in it

Lapua

I could give that a try, the gears don’t look like they have ever been used. If I knew what they came off of would help, but I got them on a pallet of odds and ends from a machine shop sale. Know idea what they would fit.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Since they are splined on the ID it seems unlikely they were change gears. Maybe they were from a Norton style gearbox for a lathe larger than this CanTek CT1440G. The CanTek gears are keyed to the shaft but a spine shaft would be appropriate for a more robust machine.

P4200931_zpse56ac634.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I got them on a pallet of odds and ends from a machine shop sale. Know idea what they would fit.

Another missing tailstock story. Somebody didn't know what they belonged to and sold them separate to the machine they belonged with. Sad to think there is a beautiful machine out there somewhere missing its change gears.

The closest one is 128 teeth.

So close as to spawn suspicion. Is it marked that way or did you count them? Either way, I'd bet a coffee it's really 127. What purpose would 128 serve anyway? Or is this one of those "close enough" deals?

Very odd!

Lapua

Another missing tailstock story. Somebody didn't know what they belonged to and sold them separate to the machine they belonged with. Sad to think there is a beautiful machine out there somewhere missing its change gears.

So close as to spawn suspicion. Is it marked that way or did you count them? Either way, I'd bet a coffee it's really 127. What purpose would 128 serve anyway? Or is this one of those "close enough" deals?

Very odd!
I counted them and used a paint pen where I started as well as marked a tooth every 30 teeth in case I lost track. If anyone is nearby and wants them, they can be had for cheap…..a box of beer? lol
i will add a picture, you can double check the tooth count. They look a bit dirty, but it’s just the original packing/grease still on them.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpeg
    IMG_0550.jpeg
    794.2 KB · Views: 20

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
i will add a picture, you can double check the tooth count. They look a bit dirty, but it’s just the original packing/grease still on them.

That was painful. Especially for an old guy with one good eye......

But I totally and completely deserved that. Kudos to you for very kindly and gently getting me to do it.

Truth be known, I never did finish. I've probably tried 6 times now. Each time I thought I was gunna make it, that part in the shadow kicked me so hard I lost count!

I'm still laughing. o_O;):D

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My Craftex had splines in the change gears. In fact, the machine finish and material looks very similar to what I used to have.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I get 128 too. wierd.

I see you had trouble in the shadow too. I love your markup methodology - wish I'd thought of doing that. I might have actually finished counting. Never did get there. Very frustrating for me. Old age and poor vision was having its way with me.

But after so gently suggesting @Lapua couldn't count, I definitely deserved whatever frustration I got..... LMAO! I'm sure glad he is a good sport.

I still can't accept it though. Why the hell would anybody have or need a 128 gear? It's like having a 25 hour clock!

Then again, I'm the guy with a mill/drill with table cranks marked off in 11 increments. 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and then 0 to 10 again etc. STUPID. But that's what I have..... On top of that, it isn't even 0.005 per graduation either.

20240402_155756.jpg