• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Late model Precision Matthews 1236T lathe GTA $2700

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on Kijiji over the last ten years and never a problem. I had a couple questionable inquiries that were probably scammers.
Last October I ran a Kijiji add "looking for a project motorcycle" hoping to find a winter project restoring an old motorcycle. I was constantly being contacted by people with really nice old motorcycles not projects that they wanted to sell for a very low price. They told me that shipping the bike across North America would not cost that much. The scam alarm went off right away. I would tell them I work in the trucking industry and they are very wrong I ended up having to take the add down as it was just ongoing scammers.

I keep saying this; the only way to protect yourself is to only conduct an in person, cash transaction after carefully inspecting the object for sale. This goes whether you are the buyer OR the seller!
Last fall, i was selling a Reese tow hitch from a car i had just scraped. Damn if the cops don't show up at my door. Why? Because they saw the ad and wanted to buy the hitch. Paid me in cash, shook hands, and off they left with my old hitch. LOL.

Scamming is certainly not a new thing. About 10 years ago I saw a large by my standards machine tool for sale on Kijiji in my home town. What a deal it was! I inquired about it and they said their "agent" would drop it off and I had 30 days to decide all I had to do was make a deposit. I asked to see it. They said it's in our warehouse in Nova Scotia. I said perfect I'll come take a look. They said no we will bring it to you. It weighed about 7 or 8 tons and is so large I was going to have to dismantle all the framing around the barn door to get it inside. 100% scam. What actually tipped me off was when the person selling mentioned that they were a doctor. I have a few friends who are doctors and they never bring up what they do for a living. Ever. Instant tip off that its a scammer if they are someone in a high end job. Latest thing I get is people trying to sell me crypto.

Back