• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Laser center finder

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I came across this recently and thought it was a good idea. https://www.centerquic.com
The price tag of $168 floored me though so I made one,
2321A52A-176A-4B92-B8DA-B67834DC9073.jpeg
Here‘s a picture with the spindle turning. The naked eye sees it as a complete circle.
AD00D397-C55B-497E-BE5E-A77CEBCB6D5B.jpeg

The best repeatability I could get was about 0.01” for a center punch mark. I was consistently within 0.003” when centering between two lines about 1” apart.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Always wondered about the accuracy, now I know. What do you think is the limiting factor? Beam width?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I think the width does have an effect. The laser I have isn’t focusable so I couldn’t change that. I think that was why it was a bit more accurate when centering between two lines as it was easier to tell when the beam just touched the line. A magnifying glass might have improved it a bit. It’s also a matter of where you’re looking from. I had the best results when lined up parallel to an axis. Also my laser didn’t intersect the axis of the spindle so the smallest circle i could get was about ½” D. A smaller circle might have improved the center punch test.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I fail to see the principle of this?

I have a laser pointer on my drill press. Horrible thing, I gave up on it.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@RobinHood centerquick‘s video claims an accuracy of 0.002” so mine isn’t wildly off.
I also found this video of a fairly nice DIY version. He uses a focusable laser from a laser level and says he can get a finer line. I’m going to have to check the one in my junk box.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think if you had one that focused you could change that focal point and sharpen up the line, I am also curious of what angle you drilled the hole for the laser I am thinking if it is a smaller angle it would be better for keeping the circle smaller and a bigger angle would make the circle larger. I think with a little playing you could find something that would work well in the normal range that you drill/mill, The one they are selling is universal so I think thats why they want so much but to me it would be more cost effective to make one for each machine you have. It is definitely a handy idea.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I tried to drill the hole for the laser at about 14 degrees. That would give me the smallest circle about 6-7 inches down. Unfortunately the beam misses the spindle axis by about ¼” so the smallest circle is ½”. If I make a final version I’ll make the angle adjustable.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Best part is you can freely make copies and even sell them - they cannot patent it and if they did you can easily kill it with previous art. I.e. they themselves copied someone else's idea. See for example:

and there are even detailed instructions how to make one: https://www.instructables.com/Laser-Centreedge-Finder-for-a-Mill-or-Drill/

Here is actual inventor (probably) -

I.e. its been around almost 10 years!

Gotta love Dan! That's a great video.

I ordered the lasers to make one of these - it's on the endless project list!