Laser center finder

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I came across this recently and thought it was a good idea. https://www.centerquic.com
The price tag of $168 floored me though so I made one,
2321A52A-176A-4B92-B8DA-B67834DC9073.jpeg
Here‘s a picture with the spindle turning. The naked eye sees it as a complete circle.
AD00D397-C55B-497E-BE5E-A77CEBCB6D5B.jpeg

The best repeatability I could get was about 0.01” for a center punch mark. I was consistently within 0.003” when centering between two lines about 1” apart.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Always wondered about the accuracy, now I know. What do you think is the limiting factor? Beam width?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I think the width does have an effect. The laser I have isn’t focusable so I couldn’t change that. I think that was why it was a bit more accurate when centering between two lines as it was easier to tell when the beam just touched the line. A magnifying glass might have improved it a bit. It’s also a matter of where you’re looking from. I had the best results when lined up parallel to an axis. Also my laser didn’t intersect the axis of the spindle so the smallest circle i could get was about ½” D. A smaller circle might have improved the center punch test.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I fail to see the principle of this?

I have a laser pointer on my drill press. Horrible thing, I gave up on it.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@RobinHood centerquick‘s video claims an accuracy of 0.002” so mine isn’t wildly off.
I also found this video of a fairly nice DIY version. He uses a focusable laser from a laser level and says he can get a finer line. I’m going to have to check the one in my junk box.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think if you had one that focused you could change that focal point and sharpen up the line, I am also curious of what angle you drilled the hole for the laser I am thinking if it is a smaller angle it would be better for keeping the circle smaller and a bigger angle would make the circle larger. I think with a little playing you could find something that would work well in the normal range that you drill/mill, The one they are selling is universal so I think thats why they want so much but to me it would be more cost effective to make one for each machine you have. It is definitely a handy idea.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I tried to drill the hole for the laser at about 14 degrees. That would give me the smallest circle about 6-7 inches down. Unfortunately the beam misses the spindle axis by about ¼” so the smallest circle is ½”. If I make a final version I’ll make the angle adjustable.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Best part is you can freely make copies and even sell them - they cannot patent it and if they did you can easily kill it with previous art. I.e. they themselves copied someone else's idea. See for example:

and there are even detailed instructions how to make one: https://www.instructables.com/Laser-Centreedge-Finder-for-a-Mill-or-Drill/

Here is actual inventor (probably) -

I.e. its been around almost 10 years!

Gotta love Dan! That's a great video.

I ordered the lasers to make one of these - it's on the endless project list!