• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Large bench top? Mill

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Nope not I. I am to far away to make it there in a timely fashion to inspect without paying up front,
I would think. And that is not something I am willing to do at this time.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
No, not me neither. I tried to contact them yesterday but got an answering machine message to call back this AM but I guess that will be fruitless by the sounds of it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
No, not me neither. I tried to contact them yesterday but got an answering machine message to call back this AM but I guess that will be fruitless by the sounds of it.

It's in a pending deal state, so not done yet. A call might be worth it.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Actually just got off the phone with the guy...pending sale is not until "next Monday" from somebody in Calgary and in his words is only a "possible sale", so I'm going to inspect it today....if anybody on here is "the guy" I will have a first hand look at'er for us all.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Visited the commercial welding shop where the mill sits yesterday, looked like a busy place with 1/2 dozen men working & everything kept very neat for a welding shop...first plus for used machinery eval.

The owner & I had a hic-up first off when we tried to start the machine...it wouldn't light up at all, after much scurrying around with cords & other workers in the shop all giving their 2 cents worth, we discovered it had a lock-out switch on the safety visor that was misaligned....now it works.
All-in -all, appearance wise for a commercial shop machine, it was fairly good, no "over drill pockets" from careless employee's in the table at all, just a bit of "shop smoke & crud" on the outside metal...it doesn't look "new" or "unused" as a lot of folks expect/desire when buying used.

it has a slight gear clash hum to it when running as JohnWa suggested they all have but didn't strike me as being anything out of the ordinary. Gear/speed changes are easily done and no binding or jamming was noticed on either lever.

I checked my old mill-drill for run out at the quill both locked & unlocked before I left so I had sort of a comparison benchmark to work on.
My mill unlocked .006 movement side to side
their mill unlocked .005 movement side to side

My mill locked quill .ooo5 movement (remember I just set bearing preload only a month ago).
Their mill locked .001 movement

All movement were measured off the drill chuck nose anchored in the main shaft (MT # 4 by the way).

The hand wheel thread backlash on my mill is about 20 deg. before opposite direction movement happens, on their it is about 15 deg. some not much difference there.

There where two things I wasn't excited about, the biggest is the 3 phase power motor that I will have to change to single phase and the fact that it is MT # 4. Everything I have is 3 or 5 and so far I haven't been able to find a readily available 3 to 4 adapter.

Personally, I'm not going to say it is overpriced but coming from a commercial shop situation that abuse could be hiding somewhere, I'm not going to say it is a raging bargain neither.
So, if your "the guy" and reading this, that as much as I can offer up other than I think it would be a "suitable" upgrade for what I have already.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Rather than change the motor, I’d install a vfd. You can get them for less than the cost of a new motor. There’s some big gaps in the speeds on my mill that a vfd would fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes i would agree that the mt4 spindle is a downer....i don't think i would want that unless I already had it in other machines. Definitely not as common.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I should have taken a photo of the speed chart when I was there. slowest speed was just over 90 RPM and I think fastest was close to 850 I think, not overly fast I thought.

I will be giving the VFD thing some consideration for sure. Was thinking that selling/trading the 3-phase to someone that already has that changeover in their shop might mitigate the change-over cost to a single phase.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
On second thought I’d get a MT4 to ER32 collet chuck. It would probably better with an ER40 but I have a set of 32 collets.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Here’s a pic of my ZAY7025 chart. I wouldn’t expect a ZAY7045 would be much different but who knows.
9B9D60BF-0FB4-48C2-A933-17C5B125D02D.jpeg

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Thanks John. Yours is a bit faster in low gear as I know the slow rev was 90 on the machine I looked at, and I sure could be wrong on the top speed, maybe I just miss read the plate and it was 1850.

Amazon list's a bunch of inexpensive 3-4 MT adaptors.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks John. Yours is a bit faster in low gear as I know the slow rev was 90 on the machine I looked at, and I sure could be wrong on the top speed, maybe I just miss read the plate and it was 1850.

Amazon list's a bunch of inexpensive 3-4 MT adaptors.

Doug, I'm seeing 1500 or 1580 by expanding the Kijji image.

Craig