• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Lancaster starting

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
That is really neat. Is that the Lancaster that was at the SW corner of McCall Field for 30 some years?

EPaxx

That was sooooo cool!!!! Wish I could have made it up there!!! Thanks for posting this!!

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Imagine, back in the day, when they had squadrons of these things flying? What an awesome sound.

Tom O

Ultra Member
There is a guy on another forum I go to that has some Lancaster drawings in PDF form I’m just waiting for him to send them.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I think the only remaining flying one is KB726. More than a decade ago I was in the parking lot at Praxair on 42 and Blackfoot getting welding gas. I think it was Stampede week in fact, but also a military anniversary that year. Suddenly I heard this incredible sound coming from downtown. I looked up and saw it flying towards me. The sound of those engines is beautiful. I'll never forget it. The men and women who built those things were masters at using the least amount of metal to achieve the right amount of strength. A lot of bead rolling added so much strength to everything from seats to control levers.

@Tom O - you're so lucky to have been that close. Good on you.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I think the Lanc that was mounted on a pedestal just before entering McCall field is now housed in the white tent at the Calgary Aerospace Museum. CAM is/was also restoring a Mosquito. Don't know where they are at with that.

Boy this dates me.

As a youth I flew from London to Dar es salaam Tanzania (with a refueling stop in the Sudan) on a De Havelland Comet! 707s, VC10's, BAC 311s and Caravelles were the cutting edge then. Made a trip from Dar to Zanzabar in a
De Havelland Dragon (look that one up).

Anyone remember the Calgary Golden Hawks F86 crash? I do.

Last edited: