• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

KO Lee Universal Tool and Surface Grinder in facebook. 1600CAD . Deal or no deal ?

Gennady

Spotted this device in facebook

Located in Magog, QC. Still in a good range for Eastern Ontarians . Quite a few accessories and grinding wheels. Always wanted to have one ... Wandering what would common wisdom tell - is that a good deal?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
431857819_420851977196383_3220168356620005727_n.jpg

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
It's a great deal. Of course my assessment may be slightly skewed (in favor of buying) but you can spend that much or more on a "d bit grinder" or you can spend the same amount and get yourself a REAL grinder. And it will do more stuff. I'd jump on it!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Not sure about QC, but if all else is fine with it, then its a good deal if this was AB. It comes with a lot of accessories, such as powered work head. Bucket of grinding disks, not powered wark head, end mill sharpening attachment.

I would say powered work head is like $500 by itself.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I'll be the dissenting voice. It's the really small table model, really limits you, especially for cylindrical grinding (the main use of the motorized workhead). That style of end mill fixture is a POS compared to an air bearing, a pita, imo virtually unusable. It is also not 5C. There are no centres shown, a necessity for some types of cutters like horizontal mill cutters and you need a centre with the motorized workhead. The other workhead also doesn't look like 5C and looks DIY, all that and price is fairly full imo.

As for the motor, generally with a grinder if at all possible you don't want to change the motor. Motors for grinders from quality firms like KO Lee, Norton, B&S etc were balanced to a higher standard than that of a typical motor.

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, I got almost bare bones TC&G for like $650 but it was few years ago and I had to drive for few hours to pick it up. It came almost bare, except for somewhat home made work head. I do have more table space through.

The box of wheels is maybe a $100 - 200 as I see some diamond stuff. Say 150.

The small mag chuck is maybe up to $100 if in good shape or touch less.

Power work head is $500

Manual work head looks OK, say a 100

I paid in today's money $200 for air bearing EM sharpener that is not 5C - so say this is $100.

There is a 4 jaw chuck as well and I think radius dresser - say $100+

So overall value say 1050+

Mine came with say manual work head so discount this to 950+

This means you are getting the T&CG for same price I did few years ago & main price to pay is smaller work table -- may want to look at driving distance as well & saving over $100 in fuel.

Also may offer less, say $1400 - $200 for package discount.

Note some auctions have C&TG for CHEAP. bare bones ones - but cheap if no one but you looks at them - you need to get lucky and may have to wait a year or three - we are talking under $200 - that would be a better deal!

Gennady

Well, I got almost bare bones TC&G for like $650 but it was few years ago and I had to drive for few hours to pick it up. It came almost bare, except for somewhat home made work head. I do have more table space through.

The box of wheels is maybe a $100 - 200 as I see some diamond stuff. Say 150.

The small mag chuck is maybe up to $100 if in good shape or touch less.

Power work head is $500

Manual work head looks OK, say a 100

I paid in today's money $200 for air bearing EM sharpener that is not 5C - so say this is $100.

There is a 4 jaw chuck as well and I think radius dresser - say $100+

So overall value say 1050+

Mine came with say manual work head so discount this to 950+

This means you are getting the T&CG for same price I did few years ago & main price to pay is smaller work table -- may want to look at driving distance as well & saving over $100 in fuel.

Also may offer less, say $1400 - $200 for package discount.

Note some auctions have C&TG for CHEAP. bare bones ones - but cheap if no one but you looks at them - you need to get lucky and may have to wait a year or three - we are talking under $200 - that would be a better deal!
That is fair calculations, Tom. I cannot disagree. There is one huge (IMO) advantage here - you have complete machine, ready to grind. No need to look around and search for heads, wheels, etc, Well, I'll tell straight I - have no budget at this moment, so I will pass , though it is very tempting.