• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

KMS Makita mag drill sale

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
anything not to like about that one?

looks like it has the Allen key style chuck vs quick release, and when the motor is set up fixed on the gibbs it is very limited when it comes to using a chuck + twist drills

but, any mag drill is better than no mag drill, and thats a reasonable price for a name brand unit, though it looks suspiciously similar to many of the Chinese offerings

Jswain

Joe
I've gotta think the Makita might last longer but then again, my Vevor purchases have been just fine.
I drilled like 90ish 5/8 holes in my welding table in 2 hours with an annular cutter with my vevor unit.
Paid $325 at the time. I figured it was cheaper then farming out the job, and no way I was hand drilling them.

I don't know how reliable the magnet parts are, but id assume with how many years they've been around, the corded drill portion will last a long time, maybe require brushes at some point

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I honestly don't understand why mag drills will be so expensive. I honestly think for $300 you should be able to get rather reliable machine - its a lot of $$$. I.e. Makita and other units seem heavily over priced.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
At that $$$ it pays to buy and resell even if you need it for a day!
I picked up a lightly used Dewalt mag drill (corded) for $300 two weeks ago, under exactly those conditions. One-man railing company needed it for a job, cleared it out after.

It has a quick-release chuck (for annular cutters), and comes with a Jacob’s adapter, but I noticed it has extremely limited range with the chuck in. I think it was something like 2” or less from chuck face to surface, with the drill wound all the way back. Is that typical? First time mag driller questions. :|

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
It has a quick-release chuck (for annular cutters), and comes with a Jacob’s adapter, but I noticed it has extremely limited range with the chuck in. I think it was something like 2” or less from chuck face to surface, with the drill wound all the way back. Is that typical? First time mag driller questions. :|

On many that is typical, the more well thought out drills (and normally more expensive) the motor is on its own set of gibs on the quill/rack so that you can raise the motor up without loosing stroke for when you have a chuck installed

Jswain

Joe
You can get screw machine length(stubby) drill bits, or cut/sharpen what you need.

Annular cutters are the way to go but they are expensive & only go so small

You can also get drill bits with a Weldon shank but they are also getting up there $$

Or if it's just a one off or a couple holes you could clamp a thicker plate to the work and place the mag drill on that