• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Kitchen utensil prototype - help wanted

ted525

I am an entrepreneur with a kitchen utensil design, currently trying to make a single prototype in steel or aluminum.
The form resembles a 9" pot lid with handle. I have a CAD model in .STEP format ready. Radial bending and a few holes.
Tried the quote feature of online fab shops, most rejected it because it requires deep draw.

I'd like to find a paid collaborator with access to a lathe or CNC who could help me make a prototype by whatever method is feasible. I'm in Montreal. Happy to work with someone remotely. I have no experience as a metal worker myself.

0.88mm Steel sheet, type 216 or 217. <--- material, my best guess
final dimensions: 9" diameter
Can definitely use a lighter gauge if it's easier to work with.

My long-term goal is to commercialize, press at scale.

Thank you for reading my post!

hatthing.png

Last edited:

Tecnico

(Dave)
5" but could get away with 4" for the prototype.

The rim has complex radial bends shaped like this:
View attachment 34219
If the utensil is going to be in contact with food then you might want to think about the folded over lip and how to make it accessible for cleaning. There might be standards like NSF that can help you decide what clearance is suitable.

Thanks for sharing your project.

D :cool:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
do a search for "metal spinning Canada", tons of them. imo you'd be best to send a properly done dimensioned and toleranced drawing and ask for a quote...prototype work for entrepreneurs are anathema from most shops lol.

Please let us know what they say about they rim....seems impossible to me but I'm not a spinning expert. i'd be interesting to see if there is a way.