• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Keyway Milling machine, $100, Coalhurst, AB

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
7e4e2e45-2131-4079-a15a-f85b1caa1339

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I love that. Purpose built machine that doesn't take up much room, but is setup and ready to go at a moments notice for a variety of keyways. You could make your money back before lunch on that thing if you had the right type of work lined up.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I immediately looked at the location after viewing the picture very cool never seen anything like that, home made? Looks too good to be home made but not good enough to be made commercially or some small horizontal mill converted? Very cool as Dan says print money with it.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Holy wow I could have used that machine at one time, not for slotting so much, but for slab siding barrel blanks into octagon "replica antique barrels.
Even now if someone wanted to tackle that business, it could "print money" as the boys are suggesting.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Young guys - I could print money with that.

Old guys - I could maybe use that once or twice to turn round bar into octogonal bar.

Both - cool machine!

JustaDB

Ultra Member
I love that. Purpose built machine that doesn't take up much room, but is setup and ready to go at a moments notice for a variety of keyways. You could make your money back before lunch on that thing if you had the right type of work lined up.
It's 20 minutes away. Give me the word & I'll go pick it up for you... ;)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
For this price for someone that does not have a horizontal mill this would be a great addition. Heck the table is worth more than 100 CAD. Looks like home made machine with parts that are home made and commercially available / parts from other milling machines.

Bandit

Super User
Ya, I took it and the drill press, drill press has seen some better days. The mill even came with a vise. I left the lathe, not enough room on the truck, ha,ha, LOL. The grinder was still there too. My god, he's got a cnc laser cutter, I thought the plasma units did nice work, I think he said 4 kilowatt. Holy petrified Bat Man krap,maybe a 5 thou. kerf and no taper on the 3/8 plate I looked at, not quite a baby smooth cut, but!! I know, things have changed! Wow, made my day.
He said yesterday phone started going about the mill!

Bandit

Super User
That's the Coalhurst adds that you spotted, "JustaDB". The floor mount grinder and the phase converter. The lathe I thought I seen here but can't find, so either face plant or kiji. Didn't really look at them, Sorry, other fish to fry. Lathe--maybe 16-18 inch swing, over 60 inch bed, Maztec/Mazic ?, I will see if can find it on face plant.
Had a look, maybe didn't see the lathe, doesn't seem to be on face plant. Quick look on kiji, didn't see there either.
Wasn't doing my job, again! He only said the lathe hadn't seen much interest either when we were outside, so hadn't realized it was for sale really.

Last edited:

Bandit

Super User
Some what of a strange machine, there may not be any cast iron used anywhere. Table made from a piece of 8in. Channel with end plates welded in, the t-slots plate unbolts from the channel and sits on top of 8 pillars in the channel. The channel kind of acts like a settling sump, and there is a thin plate pinched between the pillars the bottom of the t-slot plate. The table is a universal, and pivets 20 degrees either way, maybe up to 30 degrees if I find another set of hold down holes. The overarm doesn't move and is bolted to the spindle uprites, end plate is removable, not sure yet how the cutter mandril shaft comes out of the spindle yet. The motor is 1/2hp. with a 20-1 transmission on it.
Have not found a name on it anywhere, so if some one made it, they had access to some equipment, did some planning and look to have had some skills. More as I find it.