• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Keyway broach bushing slop?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
How much is too much? I just received my Aliexpress keyway broach set and was surprised that the broach cutter fit so loosely in the bushing on the smaller bushings. The bigger ones are not as bad.

Won't this be potential for crooked keyway?

There must be standard broach and bushing dimensions and tolerances for metric and imperial sizes but surprisingly I can't find any such thing in my old Machinists Handbook. There are lettered styles I think the ones I have are all either B or C.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
I have a several sets of Dumont broaches. The bushings and broach fit with 0.002" clearance. No slop at all.

I would send that set back to Aliexpress.
Broach.jpg

Proxule

Ultra Member
LOL they thought those shims you use to enlarge and keyway where meant to go in the sides as well as the back.
Sigh
404-9608main_1.jpg

If the bigger ones are fine they may have included the incorrect style of broach cutter for the smaller bushings or vice versa. It would be very instructive to know the measurements of the bushing slot and the broach base.

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I think you're right. Oh boy I don't look forward to this.

Sending it back? not a problem in my experience, not as nice and friendly as Amazon (commercial culture: here the customer is king, there the manufacture is king) but Ali waves a big stick and you get to return things with them paying the shipping.

Agreed it has to go back.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sending it back? not a problem in my experience, not as nice and friendly as Amazon (commercial culture: here the customer is king, there the manufacture is king) but Ali waves a big stick and you get to return things with them paying the shipping.

Agreed it has to go back.
Yes it looks like returning it won't be so bad but then I loose my UPS fees and have to pay that again if I order again. :mad:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Kind of ghetto fix idea but maybe you could bond in feeler gauge stock on either side of broach, using the broach/assembly during the fit up? That way you would have pretty hard rubbing surface. I don't know how much shear force the joint surface would see during broaching if that's even viable. Loctite retainer might be an option. Silver soldering would be tricky. The question is - is the slot too wide or the broach too narrow vs. specs? If the broaches are OK, they should at least send a replacement guide part if you show a pic of the dimensions of both. I'm guessing that making a new guide involves some work, maybe hardened & ground?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Kind of ghetto fix idea but maybe you could bond in feeler gauge stock on either side of broach, using the broach/assembly during the fit up? That way you would have pretty hard rubbing surface. I don't know how much shear force the joint surface would see during broaching if that's even viable. Loctite retainer might be an option. Silver soldering would be tricky. The question is - is the slot too wide or the broach too narrow vs. specs? If the broaches are OK, they should at least send a replacement guide part if you show a pic of the dimensions of both. I'm guessing that making a new guide involves some work, maybe hardened & ground?
From the YouTube videos I have seen making a new bushing would not be all that hard and doesn't not need to be hardened and ground. I've got Aliexpress ok to return the whole set but I'm hoping to get just the 3 lousy bushings replaced. I really don't want to have to repurchase a whole set and pay courier fees all over again.