Kearney&Trecker 3CE, Weyburn Sask: $600

Looks like a basket case with lots of parts missing (wheres the overarm supports?). Sounds like the vertical head is available for 1300 more. 1900 sounds like alot for this particular unit.

s-l640.jpg

Brent H

Ultra Member
Pretty much scrap value. Just the two missing rods for the arm would cost you mega bucks - unless you had a donor machine. 3 tons - yikes - home shop with a crane …

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
$0.05/lb minus the cost of loading and transportation. I wish people would give this stuff away when they're done with it rather the waste created by rotting outside. The table would make a good welding bench.

And the seller is in weyburn, with the closest big scrap iron dealer likely in Regina. It would cost them $500 to have it hauled to regina to get the scrap value.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
there is a metal scrapper in Weyburn that might take it off there hands, but likely for free only. They appear to be just south of Weyburn.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would take it for $1500. Maybe $1200. But I would expect that he give me at least $1200 to take it away.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
That is... a large restoration project. Likely months to get her going. I would not be concerned with over arms - they are just big chunks of steel - I can sell you the steel at low price if you need it. Heck, for lower performance one can use thick wall pipe.

Main issue here, other then major cleaning, would be getting electrical rat's nest fixed.

Note I own a working K&T #2. So this is one size bigger.

Keith had K&T #2 and upgraded to #3.

#2 is 1.5t, half the weight of #3 and is only 3hp.

Machine as is is wroth its value in scrap - currently scrap is around 10c or so per lbs. Without overarm machine is under 3t, so I see a price of $600.

Wait, he asked exactly $600 ;)

Now main issue is how to load and off load. Machines over 2t are difficult for home shop guy (unless we are talking Dabbler here) as 2t is what a lot of equipment to lift is rated. Gantry cranes you can buy or rent are usually 2t. So maybe offer the guy $600 but ask him to load it for the price. If one could find 3t gantry crane for rent, maybe give guy 600 - rental.

This is multi month project mill - for people like Keith to restore.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Love me some weyburn sask action...... went to a wedding or two there....

Road trip? Tempting

Well, that would increase the price a LOT - bey hey, for someone wanting to restore it, fuel + time should not be a big deal. I mean how often does vintage K&T #3 show up?

Think about the value in the shop for small talk! No one would notice just the next BP clone. But this thing, for sure.

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
Isn’t the 3CE made in England by CVA? That would make replacement parts even harder to come by. I wouldn’t touch that thing with a 10 ton crane!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
My K&T #2 was also made in UK. But I do not think it uses any different parts then the US version - not sure about this #3.