• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

KBC Tools & Machinery recent Catalogue

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Placing an order with KBC Tools unfortunately their web site doesn't show me individual stubby metric HS drills other than sets.

Require KBC's part number for 3.30 HS metric drill bit, anyone have a more recent KBC catalogue kindly post their number on same.

Beautiful spring day in MJ.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@David88 got you the right diameter but its a jobber (regular length) if that matters. I think I was down this path before & I don't recall much selection in stub length + metric combination. Only IMP fractional & numbered, individual or sets. I'm not sure if they are phasing out the paper catalogs? I haven't received one in years.

If you can find close diameter size, they call them stub, not stubby.

Sometimes they are called screw machine drills but maybe KBC lumps them together
1684782679617.png

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
From Vol. 52 (circa 2020) Jobber length is 1-091-0330
I don't see metric screw machine or stubby drills anywhere in the paper catalogue.

That said 3.3mm is 1/8" so that's an option

3.30 mm bit = 0.1299 " - 1/8" bit = .1250" - #30 " bit = 0.1285 "with the latter being a closer option just saying

Last several years I've been able to buy metric stubby drill bits listed on their web site, what has happened???

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
3.30 mm bit = 0.1299 " - 1/8" bit = .1250" - #30 " bit = 0.1285 "with the latter being a closer option just saying

Last several years I've been able to buy metric stubby drill bits listed on their web site, what has happened???
Try calling them as Degen suggested.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Dusty you might be aware but just in case, screw machines / stub drills are predominantly 135-deg point angle. Screw & CNC machines have no issue with this because they are usually more rigid, less play & CAM can be optimized. For manual mortals like us, best practice would be to spot drill with a same/larger included angle, unfortunately finding these are rarer & more expensive. So a more common 120-deg spot followed by a more common 118-deg point might actually lead to a more accurate hole than a spotless stub +/- a bunch of variables. Or buying an offshore carbide for the price of domestic HSS. I mention this because you specifically wanted a shorty, presumably for a reason.

If you have a bit of free time, good metric drills can be had quite reasonably, although it can be a crap shoot sometimes. Unfortunately many come in 10 lots. I've wanted some incremental decimal metrics myself for various applications so been dabbling with different vendors.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Just did a search on the KBC sight - 3.3 mm Stubb HSS 1-904-0330 $1.45, and 3.3mm Parabolic stub cobalt 1-148-089273 $10.16
I can't find the first product on the Canadian site. Were you on the US site?

Edit: I corrected the part number in Larry's post.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I can't find the first product on the Canadian site. Were you on the US site?
Cdn site

IF you have the part number you can find it easily... by adding the part number to the end of this URL

becomes

or