• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

KBC brand measuring tools?

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have found that my cheap PA caliper eats batteries, even when turned off. My Mitutoyo doesn't. Could be that all cheap ones don't but info i found on the web suggests that most cheaper calipers use power even when turned off, hence a dead battery when you need to measure something.

architect

Super User
Yup, I have a cheapo Canadian Tire $10 caliper from years ago and I can't leave a battery in which is kinda annoying.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Interesting this set is cheaper than just the mag base...

I guess a good mag base paired with a so-so DI is better than the other way around!

This post reminded me as to how much I hate my current mag base.

So I ordered this https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/1-457-910F yesterday and it was shipped FedEx today. Will let you know how the DI pans out. Can't be any worse than my BB DI which works fine for me.

BTB- Looking through Amazon.ca the Noga standard MB can be had for $160, as to whether it's an actual Noga is another story.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I find the iGaging measurement instruments good. I have two calipers, one blue tooth, a digital height gauge and a digital depth gauge. One thing the iGaging does it shows imperial fractions like 1/32, or decimal inches/mm. I take the battery out of the height and depth gauges when I put them away. They seem to be good quality not super expensive. The blue tooth caliper was under $100 - mitutoyo wants $560 for just the bluetooth adapter - you still need calipers to put them on.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Oooops..... a little bigger than I expected... Maybe could have the next size smaller?

NOGA.JPG

Gotta love KBC's shipping, ordered on the 12th arrived on the 16th. Now to figure out how to mount the DI on it. That detail is not obvious to me.. So far I haven't been able to mount my Accusize TDI via it's dove tail:mad:

Hmmm.... much head scratching here.....

NOGAM.JPG

How are supposed to mount the DI on the Noga instrument head???? The instructions state it takes a back lug mount?

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The dovetail of the DTI goes here (red arrow).

A17AC93F-1E95-4F3C-97C1-5026AD7F79DD.jpeg

You need an adapter (very easy to make) to attach the lug of the DI to. The adapter then slides in either of the two holes on the head (green arrows).

Here is what the adapter looks like.
A0BDE362-8A06-4F08-ADBA-8F35C57DE911.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The dovetail of the DTI goes here (red arrow).

You need an adapter (very easy to make) to attach the lug of the DI to. The adapter then slides in either of the two holes on the head (green arrows).

I discovered that the stem of the DI fits the larger hole in the Noga instrument head... so that works out fine.

Mount.JPG

Man you couldn't pull this off with a cheapo mag base.

So far I tested the DI against my lath cross slide dial (which I trust) and it tracked really well. As good as my BB DI in any event. Here I'm testing against my Mill DRO and things look good in the X-Axis but suspicious in the Y-Axis?

Checked my X, Y, Z mill DROs again and everything looks good. I love how flexible this Noga MB is. I'd say I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Hmmmm.... the Noga is supposed to take a 1/4" dove tail and my Accusize TDI measures 0.235... should fit???

I never realized that those two dial fingers on a DI are movable reference markers until today LOL:oops:

Last edited:

francist

Super User
In addition to the aforementioned adapter, you can also make your own post backs for indicators. There’s nothing special about them, the only fussy part is getting the holes right but even that’s easy if you use the existing back as a pattern. Make the post whatever size you need to fit the attachment. Not better or worse, just gives a different attitude for positioning the indicator.

5140DDD1-9C9C-4DED-8414-2537D6908F3C.jpeg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I clamp my dial on the stem too. Easy does it, just enough to hold it. Actually I put a plain back on my dial just to get the lug out of the way & find I don't use the lug much anymore anyways. Kind of depends on your tooling. I also machined a post back like Francist. Pay attention to the screws. Ideally use the ones you have but sometimes not possible. On a brand name they will reference (typically M#) in catalog but on clones anything goes. Your DTI should fit the dovetail but there is another maybe-yes maybe-no. There are a few dovetail standards apparently. 0.236 is a whole lot like 6mm. One of the others I looked up, maybe Starrett but dont hold me to it, was different.