• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

KBC brand measuring tools?

architect

Super User
How good are the KBC digital calipers, dial indicators, test indicators, mag bases, etc? Will eventually need some starting tools and there's a sale now that may be worth taking advantage of. Thanks.

gerritv

Gerrit
Generally my experience with their branded tools is excellent value. More predictable than AliExpress although also more expensive.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I agree with @gerritv KBC has delivered good quality to me, and for sure they are more expensive.
One thing I did was after I decided what I wanted I did an amazon search to see if there was a difference in price for the same thing and I did buy some stuff from amazon based on price and usually I am not a big proponent of amazon but a couple of things the price was too good to say no.
I did buy one of these test indicators Daniu 40112302 dial test indicator precision metric with dovetail rails Sale - Banggood.com
for starting out and I am glad I did as some idiot dropped and now its probably worthless so I made the right choice for me to go a little cheaper until some of these lesson's are learned.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
At that price you could have a drawer full of the Daniu TDI's. It would be interesting to see a comparison between the cheapy and the KBC (or better) indicators.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a few in a basket right now I'll try and compare a couple and see how close they are, when I tried it a couple of times I was happy with the use, the indicator is a bit small to see but most of the time your just looking for the min max anyways.

Proxule

Ultra Member
KBC brand..... I bought a surface gauge from them a wile back on sale.
The unit was complete trash, and after I alerted them they pulled their entire stock.
They had me ship it back only to toss it in the garbage, The shipper caught wind of this and ripped the sales guy a new one. I found out from the shipper who called the sales guy a complete idiot ( it was a gong show to return this to them and I kept getting the round around form sales and the shipper )

The main beam was not square to the body, The v way in the body was not centered. Stripped screw that goes in horizontally to pin the beam adjustment. Sharp burrs every where ( no biggie as I would debur everything that I get, Not matter new or not )
The alignment pins that come out of the body where cheapo split pins that were overly split - So you'd have to hammer on them to get them to push out the bottom of the block.

Just an endless amount of issues, if I can find the pictures I saved, ill post them
10 bucks less from amazon with 1 day shipping and my issues were solved.

your millage may vary
gluck

Everett

Super User
I got a DTI from them after my previous one met an untimely and gruesome death when it still happened to be attached to the mill quill with a homemade Indicol . . . The KBC DTI has been very good for me so far, no complaints.

Got a set of adjustable parallels from them, standard Chinesium, they do work but certainly not as nice as the one Starrett adjustable parallel that I do have.

One purchase I am very happy about is the digital caliper that I got from them when my previous "good" set started flaking out. I'm sure they're not as good as a Mitutoyo but they're worlds above typical CT/PA fare. If I accidentally break this caliper I would definitely buy another one.

Crazy to hear about that surface gauge being that rough, and the customer service headache! Granted, I've never needed to return anything to KBC, either.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I bought a surface gauge from them a wile back on sale.
The unit was complete trash
ouch!
Same old problem with not being able to try before buying. For me KBC may be only 50kms away but it takes 3hrs or more to get there (1.5hr boat ride plus the driving) and $200, makes the $13 shipping a no brainer. I'd like to see KBC by out our local KMS, it would be much better in the machining department.

Tom O

Ultra Member
That’s what you get for being on Vancouver Island ( I know it well ) although I grewup in the Non Bum era (pre 1980) when I came to Calgary because of the “ newlywed or nearly dead syndrome “ . Mind you I always looked forward to riding through the tunnel Vancouver side! :)

architect

Super User
Is this KBC digital caliper worth 25$ more than the Fowler?

https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail?itemcode=54-101-150
https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail?itemcode=1-815-130

At that price I'm tempted to go for the Daniu TDI and skip the KBC. I'm gonna be learning for awhile and I'll probably drop and break it it as well....

The cheap KBC articulating mag bases are also ~80lb of force vs something like a Noga which is ~170lbs. Those are both really abstract numbers to me and don't know if 80lbs is awful or not?

https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/1-815-305

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The cheap KBC articulating mag bases are also ~80lb of force vs something like a Noga which is ~170lbs. Those are both really abstract numbers to me and don't know if 80lbs is awful or not?

Don't skimp on a mag base, you'll regret it!!!! Ask me how I know:p

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
All these calipers look same - they are same ones made in China just rebranded.

Get two or three from Aliexpress for less $ - even if one is bad you will be still way, way, way ahead.

With measuring tools I have two settings - either go Aliexpress or go full on brand name. There is no "middle" - when you think about it you realize there is no middle.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I asked a similar question about the base and arm and was advised to get a good base and a noga arm and that's what I did and I am very happy with that choice:)

architect

Super User
I did read your thread and saw that you got the Noga and Accusize indicator. A bit tough for me to spend $200 on a mag base right now... I wasn't sure where KBC stuff falls here and figure maybe more middle ground but conflicting opinions on that...

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I did read your thread and saw that you got the Noga and Accusize indicator. A bit tough for me to spend $200 on a mag base right now... I wasn't sure where KBC stuff falls here and figure maybe more middle ground but conflicting opinions on that...

A crappy mag base will make a top of the line DI and TDI look like junk. Those things have to be rock solid stable in order to produce reliable/repeatable results and flexible in order to dial in all those crazy setups you'll encounter.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The issue with KBC (or Travers or Shars or anyone else) is 'it depends' so very hard to generalize. Some of the stuff is basically the same you can find on AliExpress with a different label & sometimes even higher price. Some of it is upgraded & good value. Buying from a catalog picture is dangerous. Country of origin isn't definitive either because even Starrett is made in China. Fowler is not bad but varies by tool (again Asia). Asimeto is a line some people feel is good value because it closely resembles Mitutoyo (design) but better price point & supposedly good warranty. The issue is very limited CDN dealers, I think Sowa is top of food chain & fans out to distributers from there. I'd put them at 60-70% of Mitutoyo price which is kind of get what you pay for.

architect

Super User
The issue with KBC (or Travers or Shars or anyone else) is 'it depends' so very hard to generalize. Some of the stuff is basically the same you can find on AliExpress with a different label & sometimes even higher price. Some of it is upgraded & good value. Buying from a catalog picture is dangerous. Country of origin isn't definitive either because even Starrett is made in China. Fowler is not bad but varies by tool (again Asia). Asimeto is a line some people feel is good value because it closely resembles Mitutoyo (design) but better price point & supposedly good warranty. The issue is very limited CDN dealers, I think Sowa is top of food chain & fans out to distributers from there. I'd put them at 60-70% of Mitutoyo price which is kind of get what you pay for.

The 12" Asimeto is only 120$ hmmm https://www.amazon.ca/Asimeto-7307125-Digital-Accuracy-Resolution/dp/B06XTFDR9X