Kart Lathe also in Winnipeg

Hacker

Super User
It is, that is what caught my eye about it. But I think what they have done is they are using the same bed, gearbox and motor for different sized lathes. The little I have found on it seems to indicate that they are well made and stout machines. Just found this on UK Lathes: http://www.lathes.co.uk/karat/

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
There is a lot of weight hanging over the end of legs but the bed looks to be fairly well made.

I can't imagine any lathe being designed for use in that configuration. Too bad the image excludes the right hand end. I'm betting there are legs for the bed to rest on.

Crankit

It doesn't appear to be a lathe that needs a lot of support out there, 5" chuck but it still weighs in at 1800lbs

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As has been mentioned, they probably use the same base for two different size bed lengths. The overhang will not make any difference if the bed is well designed. It may actually be a stiffer arrangement compared to the same length bed supported at the end (more traditional way) as the amount of unsupported bed (either ahead or behind the support) is the shortest possible in this configuration. Would not be a show stopper at all if I were in the market for a lathe.

Hacker

Super User
As has been mentioned, they probably use the same base for two different size bed lengths. The overhang will not make any difference if the bed is well designed. It may actually be a stiffer arrangement compared to the same length bed supported at the end (more traditional way) as the amount of unsupported bed (either ahead or behind the support) is the shortest possible in this configuration. Would not be a show stopper at all if I were in the market for a lathe.
Agreed, the only issue I see with this design would be if you are lifting it when moving it and trying to find the second balancing point. If I was looking for a lathe I definitely would have a close look at this one.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I Like that steering wheel control console - you could have fun pretending to race in the Daytona 500 or something - pretty cool! The start and stop lever function is very nice!