Justifying a Single Lip Tool Grinder (Dekel Clone)

I really want to be able to make some cutting tooling as well as repair my end mills, drill bits, etc.

However I'm seeing that they're kinda expensive, like a whole second lathe or some other big machine expensive. If I put that money aside and purchased new bits and mills as I needed them, I think I could amass quite a collection until I hit the cost of the grinder. Of course that reasoning could be applied to most machines.

That being said, I still want one and want the freedom of repairing edges when needed.

So... can you guys weigh in with your thoughts on usefulness and how you're all happy with your decision to get one. Should I be looking at something different and am I missing any other cool operations I can do with one.

Thanks all!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Watchin & listenin......

This is the second one today. Must be a Christmas thing.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was taught to sharpen drill bits on a bench grinder many years ago, they are not hard. For endmills i too would love a grinder for those. I have a growing collection of dull and shipped cutters.:confused:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Allied to this topic there’s a low capital cost approach. The production manager of a shop I dealt with in Toronto gave me a name of a shop he deals with for sharpening tools. I haven’t tried it yet but if I recall the price was reasonable.

One thing of note is that the sharpening may involve both the ends and the side cutting edges so the eventual diameter will need to be accounted for which is “easy” for DRO users.

Does anyone have experience with outsourcing sharpening? I have a bunch of mostly HSS that came with my mill that would be good candidates.

D :cool:

I have had some endmills resharpened good results.

I bought my Deckel grinder to sharpen the endmills myself when I started down the Carbide route. So far Carbide lasts..... I have done a few and still need to perfect my skill here. I only do lips as thats what wears for me.

Additionally I've done one custom endmill regrind, will do another application specific. Drill bits are easy.

It is useful and works well, just be aware that you will need specialized cutting disks to do split point and center cutting tooling.

The money you spend on regrinding HS tooling is better spent on Carbide, here regrinds are worth it provided they recoat after the grind.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I think there are maybe three single lip grinders (and probably shopsmiths as well) in all of North America. They just keep getting bought by some good soul full of hope and visions of all the wonders they might offer ...... and in short order they are back on the market ready for the next hopeful buyer.

Other than single lip grinding, they are a pita and while they can be pressed into sharpening other things, they are not great at it. Oodles of admiration for anyone doing so, but imo, given how much everyone wants for one, you'd be better of with a T&CG and air bearing. then you can do endmills (properly), horizontal milling cutters, drills, lathe bits and maybe even cylindrical grinding if you wait for one with a motorized work head..

Sorry if I stepped on any toes, I just don't think they are the right tool for someone wanting to sharped typical home shop tooling.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Allied to this topic there’s a low capital cost approach. The production manager of a shop I dealt with in Toronto gave me a name of a shop he deals with for sharpening tools. I haven’t tried it yet but if I recall the price was reasonable.

One thing of note is that the sharpening may involve both the ends and the side cutting edges so the eventual diameter will need to be accounted for which is “easy” for DRO users.

Does anyone have experience with outsourcing sharpening? I have a bunch of mostly HSS that came with my mill that would be good candidates.

D :cool:

I send our Carbide at work out to RME for regrind. They're in Guelph, and have always provided an excellent value to me.

https://www.rmepvd.com/

I also have a single lip grinder at work that I use for all our engraving bits. Handy piece of equipment, but I've never even scratched the surface of what they can actually do. If I didn't have access to the one at work, I would buy one for home, and probably will at some point. Robin Renzetti and Stephan Gottswinter on Youtube/instagram have shown what they are capable of in skilled hands.

Dollar value wise, IMO you've probably better off buying a bunch of good quality cutters, and send them out in batches to a reputable regrind shop when they get dull.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry if I stepped on any toes, I just don't think they are the right tool for someone wanting to sharped typical home shop tooling.

For reasons I don't really understand, this comes across as good advice for me. I appreciate your view.

I don't even know enough about this to know what I don't know. I certainly can't justify spending big money on an adventure boat that is destined to sink. Lots of other adventures out there that have a better personal reward potential.

I'd still like to learn how to put a decent edge on a drill bit though. And for the number of end mills I'll likely go through in my remaining time on this planet, I'll prolly just pitch them or repurpose them.

gerritv

Gerrit
I really want to be able to make some cutting tooling as well as repair my end mills, drill bits, etc.

However I'm seeing that they're kinda expensive, like a whole second lathe or some other big machine expensive. If I put that money aside and purchased new bits and mills as I needed them, I think I could amass quite a collection until I hit the cost of the grinder. Of course that reasoning could be applied to most machines.

That being said, I still want one and want the freedom of repairing edges when needed.

So... can you guys weigh in with your thoughts on usefulness and how you're all happy with your decision to get one. Should I be looking at something different and am I missing any other cool operations I can do with one.

Thanks all!
As the happy owner of an Alexander (as in Deckel quality) d-bit grinder, I can say it is a wonderful tool. But I buy my carbide and hss milling cutters and stub drill bits etc. from AliExpress with great success because at the wear rate of my use and their cost it is not worth even sending them out for re-grinding.
The d-bit grinder gets used for lots of other tasks like custom cutters, and experimenting with 4 facet grinds, making tiny spade drills, small dovetail cutters etc..

As the happy owner of an Alexander (as in Deckel quality) d-bit grinder, I can say it is a wonderful tool. But I buy my carbide and hss milling cutters and stub drill bits etc. from AliExpress with great success because at the wear rate of my use and their cost it is not worth even sending them out for re-grinding.
The d-bit grinder gets used for lots of other tasks like custom cutters, and experimenting with 4 facet grinds, making tiny spade drills, small dovetail cutters etc..
This..

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm still in the learning & modding phase of my Accusize TCG. My interest all along was mostly making & grinding custom tooling for my main pursuits (model engineering) plus some self inflicted geekery. If my main requirements were weighted towards just sharpening drills & EM's & the odd cutters, personally I would invest the money elsewhere. But mine is here, paid for, doesn't take up much room, & I'm finally, slowly getting up to speed. I have some offshore wheels coming & working on plans for custom work heads that basically use the TCG as a platform.

These TCG's are not created equal! Also part of your commitment will be collets, of which there are 3 choices (U, 5C & R8, the last 2 being predominant for N-Am). I would not the recommend Accusize. More on this link & I recommend you do a forum search, others have been down this path. I've collected a bunch of links which could probably get organized to share at some point.