• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Just Some Coffee Tables

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Nothing special, but I think its rude to always want others to post their stuff and not reciprocate. These are just some end tables for a older couple down the street who have a sentimental attachment to these two pieces of Ponderosa pine. I think they told me the story about why the wood meant so much to them, but as they were talking I was already in design mode, so must have tuned out.

Anyways, I'll try to post an update after the couple paints them and gets the wood finished. Hopefully they send me a pic. They have a really nice house so I'm anxious to see how they fit in.

I like the look of wood and steel together. When the proportions are right, the contrast looks great.

Height is 24"
Length is 17"
Width is 14.5"
Top is 1" / 0.125 angle iron
Tubing is all 1" square / 0.065 wall
Processes used were TIG for the angle iron (mitred) butt joints to keep them flat with minimal grinding (so the legs would mount straight). All the rest was MIG'd, sanded and wire brushed, etc.

I like using the black vinyl feet that just hammer into the inside of this size of tubing. You can find them at most home centres. They are cheap, keep projects from scratching floors, and give a nice 1/16" relief line along the base tubing that looks sharp.

I don't have a costing as the tubing and angle was just scrap. The vinyl feet are 0.48 each from Home Depot.

Sorry for the orientation on the pics...they look correct on my desktop but seem to upload differently :mad:

Attachments

• table1.jpg
    table1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 41
  • table2.jpg
    table2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 42
  • table5.jpg
    table5.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 40
  • table6.jpg
    table6.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 42
  • table4.jpg
    table4.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 41
  • table3.jpg
    table3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 45
  • tablecomplete.JPG
    tablecomplete.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice work. I like that metal + wood combo look. Actually the same materials is what my lathe stand is built from.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Good stuff. My kind of work. :)
You guys probably didn't need to see my toilet in the background. Just noticed that. Sorry.

I had intended to get lessons on using my smartphone. But most 10 year olds are at school during the day.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
As promised...here's the update after the recipient sanded, stained and painted everything.

Again, sorry for the orientation issues.

f2.JPG f1.JPG

Dogpounder

Nice stuff. Awesome welds. TIG?

Here's two tables I did in 2016.

Attachments

• IMG_2043.JPG
    IMG_2043.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Deni822

Good stuff guys. Dogpounder, love the street sign table.

Here is my console table I finished recently.

7f50b2a1a26ab748f0f9acc034f83311.jpg

Jim51

I like the industrial look .... your throne in the background needs some embellishment.

Attachments

• IMG_2017-03-29_08-47-29.JPG
    IMG_2017-03-29_08-47-29.JPG
    819 KB · Views: 15