• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

just a gripe about can openers

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
... ever since we offshored all manufacturing you can't buy a decent can opener that lasts more than a year. "insert primal scream here"

My parents still have the can opener that they had when I was 5 FFS... I have had to buy 3 can openers in 5 years. I think it is a plot to have us all starve in the post apocalypse from not being able to access our food stores...

I have an old one that we got when we got married. Still works great. Only flaw is that last 16th that just doesn't want to let go. Wish I could fix that....

For a guy that can't boil water, why are you even in the kitchen?

Good question. Sometimes the bride goes AWOL. When I get tired of dining out, I like canned tuna. No cooking required. And the cans are great for small parts in the shop.

View attachment 52070

"Little Beaver" works great. Cuts sideways so you can lift the lid off easily and without any sharp edges. My old man loves it more than the old ones.
I find this type incredibly awkward to use. Your hands are in the wrong position to make it work as easily as the old style on the side of the can.
Pull tops FTW. Canned food is the only type of food I can think of that requires a special tool to access.
Other than coconuts. But F$ck coconuts.

I find this type incredibly awkward to use. Your hands are in the wrong position to make it work as easily as the old style on the side of the can.
Pull tops FTW. Canned food is the only type of food I can think of that requires a special tool to access.
Other than coconuts. But F$ck coconuts.

For sure ergonomically it's more comfortable sideways. The old way of cutting the top from the side leaves the "lid" dipping into the can getting soaked (soup) and annoying to get out for my old man. He has to have a fork handy to fish the top out which he doesn't like. But this stuff is just personal anyway.

View attachment 52070

"Little Beaver" works great. Cuts sideways so you can lift the lid off easily and without any sharp edges. My old man loves it more than the old ones.

We had one of the 80's reproductions like what TorontoBuilder is probably fighting with...he's right...total gahbige....the drive sprocket had rounded off teeth, the handles were toed in from someone gorilla gripping it to get a bite into the can...no idea who that was... :rolleyes:
Grocery trip one day with the better 3/4's...I see one of these units...slid it into the buggy without her seeing it...she doesn't put much thought into tools of any kind...she'd use a paring knife to try an whittle away at a tree trunk to fall it...
First time she put this Starfrit unit to work..."why didn't we get one of these sooner??"
because you're cheap...that's why dear...is what I thought....I'm not stupid enough to say that out loud...;)

That's my old man too. On top of that he has shaky hands at his age so doesn't have the dexterity to slip a fork under the lid to fish it out. Won't let nobody open any cans for him :rolleyes:

Not 90 yet, but description fits me well. Won't use a fork either. My shaky claws still work for now. A little fingernail jam improves the flavour.

Partly infirmed 90-year old fiercly independant wanting to make food for himself isn't a "first world" problem ;)

This is a thread complaining about can openers ... lmao
as a person with an autoimmune caused arthritis I endorse this message....

and let me reiterate I hate the crap a certain nation is churning out. Germany help me out, got any $150 can openers? Im buyin

Back