• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Jasper25

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That’s Joshua West. It’s his forum he started and runs it. This is an all volunteer effort of like minded people. Nothing commercial. I thought Josh should know about this nonstandard request. I have not heard back from the triplex guy...

Jasper25

That’s Joshua West. It’s his forum he started and runs it. This is an all volunteer effort of like minded people. Nothing commercial. I thought Josh should know about this nonstandard request. I have not heard back from the triplex guy...
Thank you in both respects. I do appreciate your responsiveness. Robert

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
jwest7788, thats me!

John, I sent an email to Sajo awhile ago at jasper's request, but never heard back. :(

Jasper25

jwest7788, thats me!

John, I sent an email to Sajo awhile ago at jasper's request, but never heard back. :(
I continue to appreciate your joint efforts in attempting to reach Sajo. I also continue to have a keen interest in acquiring his Ames Triplex should it still be available. Tentatively, by examining the photographs of this machine, there appear to be missing parts, e.g., the tail stock spindle, and counterweight apparatus. Sajo appears to be 'current' with his machine in terms of commenting on a recent U-Tube display of a fully renovated Triplex in operating configurations. That same U-Tube thrust me into research. Turns out that the United States Navy became seriously interested in 1938 and ordered a slew of them but with improvements, from straight-on to helical gearing. They wanted a compact '3-fer' for quick repairs at sea. The heavier machine work was of course performed at the permanent bases like Norfolk, VA, Manilla, Galveston and all of the other large scale Navy Yards. I'm intrigued by this machine due to its apparent solidity and rapid change capacities from milling, to collet lathe work, to 'drill' press. Finally, the B.C. Ames factory was in Waltham, Massachusetts, the most respected center of machining accuracy during the period 1920 to 1955. Waltham Clock made all of the escapements for Chelsea Clock. Ames made thousands of lathes for the World War II effort and the Triplex was but one example. Let me know of Sajo surfaces. Robert

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
This machine given how rare it is belongs in a museum - one would be lucky to get one at decent price.

Jasper25

This machine given how rare it is belongs in a museum - one would be lucky to get one at decent price.
There is speculation that only approximately 150 B. C. Ames Triplex machine tools were manufactured from 1935-1942 and most were under contract with the United States Navy for installation on ships. They were also extremely expensive. The one featured in the U-Tube demonstration cost $2,200 in 1938...that's three Bridgeports and a new car that same year. Also, Ames had a reputation for first rate casting, hardened steel where it counted, and simply the highest quality and most consistent machining of all component parts. Finally and sadly, of those machines traded in the last few years, fully 98% had none of the manufacturer's accompanying tooling, e.g. the threading attachment, their 'short' collets and adapter, and in Sajo's case, even the tail stock spindle appears to be missing. I hope that he responds to our inquiries since his Triplex can be renovated and associated tooling can be found...by members eagling yard sales, machine shop disbursements, and estate sales.
Finally, Tom Kitta is quite right. There are several old-machine museums in New England - really wonderful stuff from 1810 to 1950. I am quite confident that Canada has similar preservation centers and I would like to receive advice as to which best ones to visit. Best wishes, Robert

Jasper25

Sent anothether email to him now. Who knows, maybe we will luck out!

I'd like to unpack this a bit more. Three facts are self evident. Jajo was a member, advertised his lathe, and he has not responded.
Sajo must have a name, address, email address and the like. If you are prohibited from disclosing any of this data, I understand. However, I'd like to confer with you to explore alternative ways to locate him. If you have a moment, my cell is 508-264-8108, or give me yours and I'll call you. Thanks in advance, Robert