• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Jammed keyless chuck

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've only ever used annular cutters in the mill with a rigid setup. I find they like slow rpm and a steady feed. Oh, and you need (I think they are called) Weldon shank arbor. Mine is R8 for the mill with the 2 set screws that contact the annular stub flats. But I'm pretty sure they come in all the standard tapers. Basically I use these instead of big drills in material<2". And small bonus you get a slug of material instead of a pile of chips.

Some people have made custom bars/cutters & used their boring head for trepanning.

I've always wanted to make my own Swiss Valcut clone but a) I just haven't had much need for making too many holes b) I suspect the magic is in the cutting tool geometry.
Rather than a precision square hole like they have broached or whatever, I was thinking of laminating a block of stock with permanent Loctite screws to yield a precision square opening for the bar & then either machine the block round or just leave it square-ish, as it will function the same.

1618716643921.png