• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Is your 3-D printer lonley, neglected, bored and in need of a project?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Could you not just clamp it in a vise setting the angle with a digital level?

No. Needs some sort of jig that provides angle and tilt that can be used to traverse the wheel on a bench grinder.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The same guy (tom, of Tom's Techniques) has a great tutorial on grinding tool bits without a jig.None of the angles are gospel, I usually just grind 5-5-5 degrees, and things cut just fine... Here's the video:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I forgot to include my favourite tool grinding video, by Tom Lipton of oxtool. There are 2 videos and he goe sthrought it step by step. An easier one is the one my mrpete222 (Tubalcane)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So.... I made up an end cutting cradle/sled....

ENDCUTCRADLE.JPG

And in doing so came to the realization that the concept isn't going to work for side grinding......:oops:

Back to the drawing board LOL.

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member
The grinding rest that comes with most grinders is...not optimal! I bought a Wolverine grinding set (made by Oneway Manufacturing in Canada) many years ago:

Part%202291%20500px%20Wolverine%20no%20BG-500x500.png

Ignore the right side that is set up for sharpening woodturning gouges. The platform on the left is the one I have used for grinding HSS lathe tools, etc. The table is 1/4" thick steel. The rest adjusts to any angle and can move in and out from the wheel easily. I was thinking about milling a recess in the table so it would wrap around the grinding wheel by 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch. However, I got a 1X40 belt sander that I've been using lately.

The standard Wolverine kit ($90) includes 2 bases, 1 V arm and 1 rest. I know they sell the pieces separately, as well. They also have other stuff like kits for balancing grinding wheels, etc.

Craig

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Good question!
Here’s a pic from the lathe manual. I think most of these jigs work best with a cup wheel.

I thought you weren't supposed to use the side of a grinding wheel? The image depicts side grinding.

thriller007

A little more progress. Now set up for 8 degrees 10 degrees 15 degrees and 30 degrees. The bolt shown on the bottom threads into the square stock and the machined part on the end of the bolt lines up with the drilled holes in the plate. @YYCHobbyMachinist even if your grinder is flat you should be able to just rotate the HSS blank. Now I have to decide what to do with the problem of being up 1/2” from the center of the wheel. Might just have to compensate with the angle of the rest??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 12