• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Is it another technology? Yes? Good!

I have to admit, when I first heard the term 'yak shaving' the first thoughts that ran through my mind were relating to Ren & Stimpy, from when I was a teenager, lol

I have to admit, when I first heard the term 'yak shaving' the first thoughts that ran through my mind were relating to Ren & Stimpy, from when I was a teenager, lol
Ha ha, today was the first time I've heard of the term. My first thought was "what the heck does personal grooming have to do with metal working". So I had to Google it and found that in fact I HAVE shaved a yak, many of times.
I should have known that Blondihacks would have kept her script relevant and meaningful. Now had there been a reference to "Ave" using the term, I would have just moved on. :D

Yes, I find that if any technology interests you, then any technology will also interest you. I tinkered with electronics as a pre-teen, as a young adult did guitar repair until I thought about how my tools came to be, took machinist training and was an apprentice for a couple of years, working at the turret lathe thought about how I could hook this thing up to one of those newly invented micro-processors, shifted careers into software development, managed a small electronics development company for a little while... and after finally going back to software for many years finally retired as the hobby machinist/electronics tinkerer I am today.

Oh, and if she doesn't already have an electric bobbin winder, a good lathe project might be to make your wife one by mating a long tapered shaft to a sewing machine motor. (I also had a weaving business with my wife for a few years in between some of those other activities, and have made a number bobbin winders for other weavers.)

But with intent!
Hi Paul,
What discipline of technology do you practice ?
I have gained skills and credentials thru machining, mechanical equipment design, process improvements and then business operations. This group has let me ‘revisit‘ the world of precision machining and design for manufacturing.

Hi Paul,
What discipline of technology do you practice ?
I have gained skills and credentials thru machining, mechanical equipment design, process improvements and then business operations. This group has let me ‘revisit‘ the world of precision machining and design for manufacturing.
Professionally I'm software engineer who does datacenter and large-scale systems design, usually in the computer graphics application space. Fitness-to-purpose keeps me very active in the business side as well.
But after moving electrons all day I like to get the rest of the atom going. And that was woodworking for many years, and blacksmithing to support the woodworking - tools and furniture hardware, and a bit of traditional inuit qajaq construction, and small boats. With a dose of timber framing and other construction work.

You are the 3rd software engineer that I have ran across on this CHMWs.
There must be a common need to produce a ‘touch-able’ product in the ‘coding’ challenges you guys see everyday.

I stated as a machinist, moved into product design, developed numerous industrial processes and managed sales for application engineering.
Now, I work PT dealing with the chaos we are seeing in vendor supply chains.

In the last year I have acquired a mini-mill, drill press, porta-band and opened my machinist toolbox from 30 years ago to use my dial indicator for squareness and try vise-cutter setups.

I am reacquainting myself with the skills required to manufacture items.

I guess there is an attraction that brings electronic chips to machining chips.
LOL

Eventually I have designed and developed machines on CAD and moved towards project and department management.

It's mostly just the mindset of people in the software/IT/tech fields, we like understanding things from the very foundation to final application, and so it fits well with learning to make stuff.

I also mentioned to you @LenVW that the last thing I want to do after work is be in front of a screen, so getting out in the garage is nice.

I guess there is an attraction that brings electronic chips to machining chips.
LOL

Eventually I have designed and developed machines on CAD and moved towards project and department management.
For me it's the tool-making. So much software development work involves building the tools to make the software. That those tools are software themselves...
It fits well with metalwork, where so much of the time is in tool and jig making.

You are the 3rd software engineer that I have ran across on this CHMWs

I see your posts everywhere! I think you are blind @LenVW .

There are at least 3000 of those seedy characters on here. And depending on how big your "programming" brush is, maybe 3 million! CHMW is infested with them.

Ya, with the right brush, I'm one too! Done a lot of programming in my day!

I see your posts everywhere! I think you are blind @LenVW .

There are at least 3000 of those seedy characters on here. And depending on how big your "programming" brush is, maybe 3 million! CHMW is infested with them.

Ya, with the right brush, I'm one too! Done a lot of programming in my day!
Hmmmm. I'm a seedy infestation now.... <GRIN>.
I'm Comp.Sci. with minor in EE. However I come from an age where Grade 8 still had a shop class that included wood working, metal working, printing, pottery and plastics. Still have the meat tenderizing hammer made using lathe, shaper, drill press and even hand tapping and die threading. But then it was a novel Jr. High School built as a round building with the Gym in the center.

Attachments

• TenderizingHammer.jpg
    TenderizingHammer.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 17
Back