Shop Is it a good idea to combine a shop crane and pallet jack?

Shop

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Below is from a recent article in the New Zealand “Shed” magazine, where a contributor has made up an adaptor to allow their shop crane to be used with their pallet jack. Combining two “similar use” tools is interesting to me as a way of saving shop space and having the “best of both worlds”.

IMG_8920.jpeg

There are some sort of fittings to stop the frame from tipping forward:
IMG_8922.jpeg

I don’t think I’d build it exactly like it’s shown in the photo, it seems that how the adaptor resists the turning moment is a weak point.

trevj

Ultra Member
I have not seen a new issue of Shed in a few years! A friend was subscribed, and in return for us chipping in against the sub costs, he would loan out the magazines for perusal among a select few folks.

Personally, I have tipped a few enough loads off a Pallet jack that I would not be happy with such an arrangement. Too much temptation to jack the steering wheel across to maneuver it, and further decrease the stability. Put anything capable of swinging, in suspension on the narrow track of the Pallet Fork wheels, and you don't need much of a bump to upset the apple cart!

I have both a Pallet jack, and an engine hoist, and admit that I am blessed for space. I gotta say, the day I bought the Pallet jack, was the day I was pretty much convinced that I had the metalworking disease for keeps! :p

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I often use my engine hoist like a pallet jack. Hoist the load onto the arms and wheel it around.
Like TrevJ I’ve dumped a load or two from a pallet jack.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I have not seen a new issue of Shed in a few years!
The Winnipeg Public Library allows me to read it via their Libby subscription! Along with Model Engineer, Model Engineers Workshop and a few other fantastic items. I can even read about plastic surgery and aliens who walk amongst us in the National Enquirer
Personally, I have tipped a few enough loads off a Pallet jack that I would not be happy with such an arrangement.
Like TrevJ I’ve dumped a load or two from a pallet jack.
Ok, you’ve convinced me… I suspected it was too good an idea to be free of problems…

trevj

Ultra Member
The Winnipeg Public Library allows me to read it via their Libby subscription! Along with Model Engineer, Model Engineers Workshop and a few other fantastic items. I can even read about plastic surgery and aliens who walk amongst us in the National Enquirer

Ok, you’ve convinced me… I suspected it was too good an idea to be free of problems…
Yeah, they (Pallet Jacks) work well with a centered, and stable, load, like, say, would be, coincidentally, on a Pallet! And you can always panic-stop by squeezing the handle, and putting a Pallet on the floor again!

Even my fold-up Engine hoist, has a lot wider track that the load is carried on, and I would be a lot happier trying to move a pallet with an engine hoist, than moving an engine with a pallet jack converted to a hoist! Might be OK, for someone looking for a means to hoist chucks or heavy vices up on to machines to use, where you are not at the whims of whoever laid the concrete where you are working (BTDT, had machinery skates run out from under the corner of a 6000 mill we were moving, due to slope in the floor that was not otherwise apparent!)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Combining two “similar use” tools is interesting to me as a way of saving shop space and having the “best of both worlds”.

I love such combinations too.

But not this one.

As they say, "Let me count the ways that this could go very badly......"

If you get to 1, the idea should die.

I got to 3 and stopped counting. Ya, don't do this. It's a Darwin Device.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Umm, this is not as easy as it seems. Actual moments need to be computed. As someone whom build his own shop crane I can tell you, some ideas are good some are bad. There are not really enough pictures to judge this - but the "legs" part does look short and it depends on where on pallet jack it sits on to judge it.

I would do a test load of 2t - and see what happens - usual break point (for me at least) was at the legs - failure is slow - metal simply bends and you load is "lowered" permanently.

Also one would need to see what happens when you extend to lift say 500kg - this would put the load beyond the legs of the fork lift - I assume it would make the whole thing turn - not bend but turn.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
‘Lifting‘ attachments are scrutinized fully by the TSSA.

* I worked in the Bridge Crane and Fall Protection industry with a few P.Engs*

Stress analysis is required with documented calculations and construction records for any crane-type device to be manufactured, sold and used in a public area.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
What I don’t like about my shop crane is:
- The splayed legs mean it’s tough to lift wide loads.
- To get the legs under something you need to put blocking fairly high.

(And it’s a pain in the arse to store in a small shop, so I have to pull it apart into major components)

Now a pallet jack is not small, so I’d have to think very carefully on whether I’d get one, plus there is no pulling it apart easily to make it smaller.

Perhaps I’ll end up making a set of Machine skates, those combined with my shop crane should be sufficient for what I’ll want to do.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It is an interesting idea. I couldn't find a precis of the article, nor any more information. I can seee how it would work for loads up to 300KG, as a mule crane. The overarm length would be crucial for keeping everything from tipping and maximize the load.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What I don’t like about my shop crane is:
- The splayed legs mean it’s tough to lift wide loads.
- To get the legs under something you need to put blocking fairly high.

(And it’s a pain in the arse to store in a small shop, so I have to pull it apart into major components)

Now a pallet jack is not small, so I’d have to think very carefully on whether I’d get one, plus there is no pulling it apart easily to make it smaller.

Perhaps I’ll end up making a set of Machine skates, those combined with my shop crane should be sufficient for what I’ll want to do.

At first, I thought you meant a gantry crane. But after reading it again, I think you are talking about what I call an engine hoist.

Mine folds up and stores very nicely. Just lift the boom straight up, and then fold the legs. It might take up 3'x2' of floor space. Certainly less than a floor jack or maybe equal if the floor jack can be stored. Under something.

part-1_20231022_181707.jpg

On the other hand, I've complained about the splayed legs before on here. I wish they could be adjusted sideways.

But even so, the legs can be pushed under a trailer or straddle a narrow load. They are terrible for lifting loads with a big footprint. That's when a gantry crane comes in handy.

They make a 2 ton crane too. And they go on sale for ridiculously low prices.

Or you can rent one.

I bought a used boat lift gantry crane from a marina and modified it to make it wide enough to straddle my flatbed.

I can also lift about 2 tons with my tractor bucket. You could try to find a local farmer with a loader tractor to help you the same way.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
It is an interesting idea.
Not in its current form though.

I think that it would benefit from outriggers, but now you’re getting into the realm of just as many compromises as having a “proper” shop crane…
Mine folds up and stores very nicely. Just lift the boom straight up
Now you’re just bragging- LOL, I don’t have the headroom in the basement to store it like you do.

It’s currently disassembled and sitting behind the “isolated from cats plant storage area”:
IMG_8927.jpeg
This seems to work better than stuffing it under my desk. Every square inch counts…

That's when a gantry crane comes in handy.
I’ve been dreaming up schemes for making a gantry crane in my “metalworking” area, permanently installed on the wall…

I am kind of bewildered at some of the posts, as some that decry this as a bad idea, yet encourage that other of similar concepts.

When safety comes into play its hit and miss, sometimes its OMG think of the dangers, don't do it, other times its, be careful here are the risks and dangers to avoid, yet they are dismissed.

I find it depends on who does what post to determine how it's received.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This seems to work better than stuffing it under my desk. Every square inch counts…

At my previous house, that's what I did with mine too. You do what ya gotta do. How high is your ceiling?

When I move big stuff in my shop that isn't already on wheels, my goto is the engine hoist, next is the tractor, and last is the gantry crane. But the easiest approach by a very long shot is to try not to move big stuff..... LOL!

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
as some that decry this as a bad idea, yet encourage that other of similar concepts.
There is a possibility my wife is a ghost member of this forum, she’s witnessed some of the stellar things I’ve attempted, so is coaching others behind the scene to prevent a life insurance claim…

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have 7’ clear of non-beam like obstructions (Like lights I’d smash if it’s higher than 7’)

Ouch. Ya, that's a limitation. Even a wall mounted gantry wouldn't be very useful cuz you still need a chain fall in there.

I'm liking your earlier mention of skates more and more by the minute. Maybe focus your efforts on a system to get stuff off the floor onto skates?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I think that it would benefit from outriggers
Any lift is helped by enhancing stability. Under the right conditions of use, it is possible to forgo a wider stance safely if the lift is minimal and the movement linear along the lifting arm - on a flat floor, no obstructions.... and many other conditions.

In a small or crowded shop, such as mine (perhaps yours?) a small footprint crane can be used to great effect if used responsibly. I would have to see the entire rig to criticize it, but I don't have access to the whole article. I have been thinking about building an 'ultimate' shop crane - with an adjustable width parallel legs, and legs that extend out narrower and farther than a normal 'Engine Hoist', and back into a 'mule crane' configuration (with a counterweight), and much higher lift height. I'm not convinced that it is worth the work. But it sure would be a fun project!

On the other hand, I've complained about the splayed legs before on here. I wish they could be adjusted sideways.
One of the things a custom build can address.

Mine folds up and stores very nicely. Just lift the boom straight up
I find the standard hoist in storage to have floppy legs, which makes it a bear to move around while folded up. On my hoist, I haven't found a restraint that worked. Another reason to do a custom build.

I've learned a lot from the big yellow crane @johnnielsen found (and is now in his shop - it is too big for mine). It is a Canadian made engine hoist lifting a maximum of 3 tons, but has a far higher safety factor than a PA hoist. Parallel legs, and adjustable length are possible and desirable.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I find the standard hoist in storage to have floppy legs, which makes it a bear to move around while folded up. On my hoist, I haven't found a restraint that worked. Another reason to do a custom build.

A simple bungie cord around the legs to the handles tames that problem.

20231217_150230.jpg

If that ever became a problem, I'd just do a full wrap and hook the two ends of the bungie together. But it works great as is.

I am gunna look at solutions to the splayed legs issue.

FWIW, I think it's important to remember that the original design of an "Engine Hoist" only had to straddle one of the front wheels (or go between both of them) so you could lift the engine out. That whole splayed leg thing was a stability advantage for that original intended purpose.

But I really love your idea of a purpose made shop crane. As an engineer, I prolly wouldn't share the design details because of the liability. But I have to believe an outfit like princess auto could make one and make a killing. It wouldn't and shouldn't really be hard to do and would be a really cool piece of equipment too!

As an aside, I wonder how many engine hoists are really used to lift engines.......

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Pick a lane -
An engine hoist lifts from above and a pallet jack from below. Putting the two together is potentially problematic.
I have been thinking about building an 'ultimate' shop crane - with an adjustable width parallel legs, and legs that extend out narrower and farther than a normal 'Engine Hoist', and back into a 'mule crane' configuration (with a counterweight), and much higher lift height.
Great - a custom made hoist with adjustable width legs would beat a standard model (that is designed to work for everyone). A rear low mounted counter balance would also add vertical stability - I like that idea.