Installing a DRO on a Hartford Bridgeport Clone.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I started this thread somewhat in frustration at not being able to find detailed instructions on how to install magnetic scales on my Hartford Clone. So it will be a long thread asking lots of questions and dealing with lots of challenges.

The DRO is a Ditron D80 with Slim 1micron Magnetic Scales.

I will also include a few posts about how I mounted the display and probably add additional posts as I change things in future. Thanks in advance to everyone who will contribute.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The first challenge is mounting the x-scale. I have lots of real estate for this. However, the scales are 1 micron magnetic. I want to protect them from swarf and damage. AND I want to find and install a way cover at the same time.

Here is a photo of the install area and a photo of the scale.

Ideas about doing a chip shield and a way cover would be appreciated.

20220304_084343.jpg

20220301_161833.jpg

Hacker

Super User
You got me thinking about my install on the x axis and I realized that there has to be a better way. I came across this this:
1646490696174.png
I wish I had seen this sooner. Will go out to the shop and do this to mine this afternoon. At least I can use the existing holes and will just have to make the brackets for the scale and reader.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
can you zoom out a bit on that last pic?

Yup. I'll do that as soon as I get back out to the shop! For now, it's a picture of the back of the table looking from the backside forward. The lateral joint is the sliding X-axis joint between the table and the y axis saddle. That is where I want to mount the scale. It should be easy peasy except..... Keeping the chips off and mounting a way cover......

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch : way cover design:

3CBCAE1D-1279-4E7C-87D2-22DA67936865.jpeg
952D0A42-F564-4A48-BC7C-83380C763939.jpeg

Front way cover :

149345BB-4F8E-49D4-8720-E991CFC1B2F6.png

I think when I bought the above accordion one for my mill it was $30. Works very well.

For shielding your scales it is easiest to make a cover out of thin metal that covers the top and front and leaves the bottom open.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Keep in mind that one of the advantages of magnetic scales is that they are much more resistant to chips and coolant. Shielding is not an issue except for physical damage.

treadmill belting makes great way covers. Theres one at the dump whenever i go. I always cut the belting off when i see one. Makes great drawer liners too.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Keep in mind that one of the advantages of magnetic scales is that they are much more resistant to chips and coolant. Shielding is not an issue except for physical damage.

treadmill belting makes great way covers. Theres one at the dump whenever i go. I always cut the belting off when i see one. Makes great drawer liners too.

Treadmill Belts - oooooo yaaaaa! I'll be looking for those from now on...... :p

Magnetic Scales - since I've never used them I'm clueless. Doesn't the magnetic strip attract ferrous chips?

For shielding your scales it is easiest to make a cover out of thin metal that covers the top and front and leaves the bottom open.

I've been thinking about using big U-Channel mounted with the opening down and the scale itself installed inside on the back wall. The reader would reach up into the channel and be adjusted to skim the stainless magnetic strip shield.

But it's getting bigger by the second....... LOL! At this rate I'll be losing y travel range!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Treadmill Belts - oooooo yaaaaa! I'll be looking for those from now on...... :p
They are awesome, and free

Magnetic Scales - since I've never used them I'm clueless. Doesn't the magnetic strip attract ferrous chips?
no they dont.

I've been thinking about using big U-Channel mounted with the opening down and the scale itself installed inside on the back wall. The reader would reach up into the channel and be adjusted to skim the stainless magnetic strip shield.

But it's getting bigger by the second....... LOL! At this rate I'll be losing y travel range!

Even my factory installed Mitutoyo glass scales on my mill don't have guards. No issues so far. They aren't subjected to physical damage where they are mounted. Some aluminum flashing from Home Depot would probably keep the chips off well enough.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
…treadmill belting makes great way covers. Theres one at the dump whenever i go. I always cut the belting off when i see one. Makes great drawer liners too.
Great idea!

In Winnipeg you have to be fast at the dump, not because of the mosquitos, but because of the video surveillance to help “protect” the members of the public… I don’t know why you can’t just make an offer to buy what you want and make it a win-win situation.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
can you zoom out a bit on that last pic?

Here you go! One nice thing about my Hartford is that the saddle is totally square with the table. The only issue to deal with is the 50 thou that the table sits proud of the saddle.

20220305_120923.jpg

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here you go! One nice thing about my Hartford is that the saddle is totally square with the table. The only issue to deal with is the 50 thou that the table sits proud of the saddle.

View attachment 21664
thats basically the same arrangement as the cross slide on my emco. I think i posted a pic before

Attachments

• 16465025565173915490434562503069.jpg
    16465025565173915490434562503069.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 7

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Another

Attachments

• 16465026013758774600132803844749.jpg
    16465026013758774600132803844749.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 16465026460144081340870561065863.jpg
    16465026460144081340870561065863.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 4

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is a good 3 part video series on installing a DRO

I watched about half of the first video before abandoning it. Their install was not a BP Clone. It's not that I don't know how to measure or mount the scales. It's that I also want to achieve a number of other objectives that they don't cover in their videos. Besides, I think the members here are 20x better at innovating around significant challenges!

I'm not shy about swiping great ideas from others!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think i posted a pic before
Yes you did. And you can rest assured that I noted that install with GREAT INTEREST. I believe I even commented about how did you avoid smashing the scale with your tailstock.... LOL!

While I'm dealing with the mill, I'm also keeping track of good ideas for my lathe. It's up next.....

But again, it's not about simply mounting the scale. That's easy peasy. It's about making a chip guard, doing a way cover, and making sure I don't lose any y-travel - all at the same time.

Even my factory installed Mitutoyo glass scales on my mill don't have guards. No issues so far. They aren't subjected to physical damage where they are mounted. Some aluminum flashing from Home Depot would probably keep the chips off well enough.

Excellent idea for a guard. Prolly better than my U-channel idea.

no they dont

Re - no worries about the magnetic scales attracting chips.

Hmmmmm..... Not saying you are wrong cuz I sure as heck don't know or I would not ask. But you have glass scales. How do you know I don't need to worry about attracting chips with a magnetic scale?

The other issue is that I often use a strong magnet to pick up swarf. It allows me to avoid mixing steel and aluminium. I keep separate garbage cans in my machining area to separate steel, aluminium, stainless, copper, and brass swarf. I get a bit more at the scrap yard that way. Beats the heck out of mixing it all up in a shop vac.

So that brings up another question. Will a magnet hurt the scale? Or should that practice die?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes you did. And you can rest assured that I noted that install with GREAT INTEREST. I believe I even commented about how did you avoid smashing the scale with your tailstock.... LOL!

While I'm dealing with the mill, I'm also keeping track of good ideas for my lathe. It's up next.....

But again, it's not about simply mounting the scale. That's easy peasy. It's about making a chip guard, doing a way cover, and making sure I don't lose any y-travel - all at the same time.

Excellent idea for a guard. Prolly better than my U-channel idea.

Re - no worries about the magnetic scales attracting chips.

Hmmmmm..... Not saying you are wrong cuz I sure as heck don't know or I would not ask. But you have glass scales. How do you know I don't need to worry about attracting chips with a magnetic scale?

The other issue is that I often use a strong magnet to pick up swarf. It allows me to avoid mixing steel and aluminium. I keep separate garbage cans in my machining area to separate steel, aluminium, stainless, copper, and brass swarf. I get a bit more at the scrap yard that way. Beats the heck out of mixing it all up in a shop vac.

So that brings up another question. Will a magnet hurt the scale? Or should that practice die?

I have glass scales on the mill, and on the V13 I have the exact same magnetic scales as you have. Chips are not attracted to the scales.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here are some pictures of my set up. The way covers are far from perfect, but good enough until I make something better. The DRO is a Newall DP500, and some pics of their brackets and chip guard. The plywood is there just to close the gap between the aluminium chip guard and the rear of the table.

Attachments

• 20220305_130655.jpg
    20220305_130655.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220305_130856.jpg
    20220305_130856.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220305_131227.jpg
    20220305_131227.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220305_131412.jpg
    20220305_131412.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220305_131455.jpg
    20220305_131455.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220305_131656.jpg
    20220305_131656.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220305_131828.jpg
    20220305_131828.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 23

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great idea!

In Winnipeg you have to be fast at the dump, not because of the mosquitos, but because of the video surveillance to help “protect” the members of the public… I don’t know why you can’t just make an offer to buy what you want and make it a win-win situation.

Ours is a rural dump, nobody cares what you do.

Once at the city dump i backed in next to a guy who was unloading a whole truck load of slat-wall sheets. I loaded it all up. On the way out, the girls in the scales were super confused because i was way heavier on the way out.