• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Inexpensive Imperial tap set

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
Picked this up the other night. Thought it was worth the $25 asking price.Made in Japan. Not Snap On quality but better than most inexpensive sets now available.

Attachments

• 20220105_230952.jpg
    20220105_230952.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 32

terry_g

Ultra Member
The older made in Japan taps and dies were good value for the price.
I have a Westward set in metric and imperial from the 1970s. I have
used them lots and have only had to replace the 5mm tap.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
In 1970s or so Japan was today's China. It is probably on par with today's inexpensive sets - which is what it was when new - cheap inexpensive set. For $25 if lightly used is a great buy.

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
I agree to some extent about Japan being the China of the 70’s. It was also Taiwan making poor stuff then too as I recall. Now, they are both considered better than China quality.

The tap and die handles are definitely not the highest quality and finish but the are quite good compared to the Chinese set I have. The dies and taps are much, much better than the newer Chinese stuff. Tough but not too brittle from my early experience with them. For the price I’m happy.

Now for a decent metric set….