• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Industrial felt supplier in Canada

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Just bought a sheet of F-13 1/8" thick from MMC. I can cut off a strip and send by Canada Post if you need a small piece.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I might... I'd have to try a sample first to see how it cuts.
it should cut easier than their nomex felt :p
I'll likely have to replace some way wipers as well. What's best in this case? F-1? F-5? Something else?

Machine wipers should use a high-quality wool felt. Medium to high density felt grades with a tight and dense structure are a good choice for industrial machine wipers because they're durable, abrasion-resistant, and have good oil and water absorbency.

David bought F1 and I'm sure that it will work just fine, but if you use your equipment more you may want to go with F3-F4 according to the recommendation I got

Density ranges for the different industrial felt classes:

• F1: This is the lightest and least dense class of industrial felt, with a density range of 0.10-0.20 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3). It is often used for applications where a soft, pliable, and low-density material is needed, such as padding or cushioning.
  • F2: This class of industrial felt has a density range of 0.20-0.30 g/cm3. It is slightly denser than F1 felt and is often used for similar applications, such as padding or cushioning.
  • F3: This class of industrial felt has a density range of 0.30-0.40 g/cm3. It is a medium-density felt that is often used for applications such as polishing, filtration, and wicking.
  • F4: This class of industrial felt has a density range of 0.40-0.50 g/cm3. It is a denser felt than F3 and is often used for applications such as gasketing, vibration dampening, and sound insulation.
  • F5: This is the heaviest and densest class of industrial felt, with a density range of 0.50-0.60 g/cm3. It is a very dense and hard felt that is often used for applications such as precision polishing, wiper blades, and industrial machinery components.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
McMaster Carr has a selection of felts but with different designations. I bought their F-13 which is intended for wipers. Link:MMC Industrial Felt
Unfortunately unless you have a business licence MMC will not ship to Canada.
I have a business licence and have ordered from MMC in the past but it's costly.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
McMaster Carr has a selection of felts but with different designations. I bought their F-13 which is intended for wipers. Link:MMC Industrial Felt
They use a different standard, and sadly they use a different density measurement as well... but I suspect this is equivalent or close

If you convert the density of the felt from Mcmaster which lists density as being 1.05 lbs per square yard at 1/8" thickness to the standard scale I listed above, you will find that MMC's product comes in around 0.1542 g/cm3 or right in the middle of class F1.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
The Felt Store lists a different density for their F1 felt.
View attachment 33652

This is a classic example of not using an ISO certification.

The SAE is a general classification system from F1 to F10 and is based on the weight of the felt per unit of area and thickness. You'd think there is no room for ambiguity. But clearly no one gives a damn about accuracy.

Their product is just what you'd want for a wiper based on the metric density listed.

and the source I got the first list from appears incorrect. but the density of the felt is what really matters, 0.35 grams per cm3 is what you want, any seller should have that data

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
now I feel compelled to correct what I posted earlier, which was copied from an email I got from a felt supplier months ago when asking about replacement felt wipers.

They obviously like MMC and the felt store use a different classification and the only thing common between the classifications is that F stands for felt.

Suppliers should reference SAE International Standard J314a-201306, "Standard Test Method for Gross Characteristics of Industrial Felt", but clearly many are not doing so.

so just rely on the density 0.35 grams/cm3

Last edited:

hhshermit

I bought several 9x10" sheets to make wipers. Way more than I need, so I'd be happy to mail you one if you wish.

Here's the felt punch I made to get the ID and OD exact and concentric. Turned it up from scrap and used the press with wood or rubber backing under the felt.

Attachments

• Felt Punch in Lathe -s.jpg
    Felt Punch in Lathe -s.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 11

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wool actually absorbs the oil and then releases it as needed as compared to synthetics which does not absorb oil.
I would have guessed that the spaces between the fibers hold most of the oil compared to what is actually absorbed by the fibers themselves

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Why is wool content desirable for oil wipers?
Wool fibers are naturally resilient and can withstand repeated compression and use without losing their shape or effectiveness. Wool content is also desirable for oil wipers due to its natural absorbency. Wool fibers are naturally hydrophilic, meaning they have an affinity for water and can trap moisture keeping it off ways. The density used for wipers has a plenty of voids for holding and distributing oil as well.