• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Induction forges

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I was doing some research on building a good coal forge, when I came across an article on the induction forge/heater. Depending how much it would cost in electricity, a heater that efficient would be very useful for wrought iron work, and maybe blade smithing if the coil were big enough. According to most online articles it doesn't look like it would cost a whole lot or be difficult.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You should go for the electric induction heater, god only knows what that evil gas your using is doing to the environment.:rolleyes:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I watched a fellow use an induction heater thing and it was darn amazing. Took a one inch bar from cold to sparking hot in about 60 seconds. And he was holding onto to it with bare hands.
Found the video:
Yes those have to be one of the coolest tools that I've ever wished for (and will likely die wishing for). Shaping metal AND extreme heat two of my favorite things!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Geez, a hundred bucks and you get all the bits to make one?... Hmmmm.....new project?

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
An induction coil and a timer are the big thing now for case annealing. I haven't gone that route.....yet. Maybe next winter's project.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
An induction coil and a timer are the big thing now for case annealing. I haven't gone that route.....yet. Maybe next winter's project.

If you do, then I'll be following that project too!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've been trying to convince my Boss to buy one for years. We harden a lot of O1 fixture gauge pins a year, and currently just use oxy/acetylene torch. An induction forge would be awesome for our process, and the ROI would be pretty quick.

I have one of the little 1000w ones from banggood, and it will actually bring stuff up to 1/4" to a dull red. I haven't played with it much, but I'm sure with some different coil shapes I could find some good uses for it. I just bought it as a toy to play with. Would love to get one of those big ones at home eventually, but have a much longer list of stuff I want first. I've been tempted to buy one of the 2500w ones but I'd rather just hold out for the big guy.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I just ordered that induction heater along with a set of graphite crucibles. I should receive them on Thursday. It’s probably only $100 because it’s a kit of parts. I like that because it allows me to design a more custom machine; but, of course I’ll test the unit before I add to it. The only thing I’m not really sure how to install, is the water cooling system. Is that supposed to pump water from a small water reservoir through the hose over the coil, or is the hose first filled with cold water which circulates through the hose continuously?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I just ordered that induction heater along with a set of graphite crucibles. I should receive them on Thursday. It’s probably only $100 because it’s a kit of parts. I like that because it allows me to design a more custom machine; but, of course I’ll test the unit before I add to it. The only thing I’m not really sure how to install, is the water cooling system. Is that supposed to pump water from a small water reservoir through the hose over the coil, or is the hose first filled with cold water which circulates through the hose continuously?
Is it too much to ask for a build series?

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
What do you mean? I have watched several videos on how to build an induction heater, I was about to order the parts from digikey; but none of the videos use a water cooling system for the coil, they only cool the mosfets with the fan. That's probably because they are only 1KW but this one is 2.5KW.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
What do you mean? I have watched several videos on how to build an induction heater, I was about to order the parts from digikey; but none of the videos use a water cooling system for the coil, they only cool the mosfets with the fan. That's probably because they are only 1KW but this one is 2.5KW.
Only hoping that you document your build using that kit in case others are intimidated by it's kit nature.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I keep getting put off by the plumbing/water cooling requirements. The power consumption seems reasonable, and would actually be pretty good off my solar here in the fire season, when the neighbors are least happy with my solid fuel forges. But I keep imagining all sorts of "water everywhere" grief in my future with one of these.