Inch ER40 Collets...What?!

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sometimes, actually often, you don't know what you don't know. Many years ago I purchased an ER40 collet set to fit my milling machine in NMTB40. I was thrilled that the set would hold everything from 3mm-26mm. And since the collets were collapsible by 1mm, I was golden, even if all my cutters were Std shanks. Through all this time, holding some cutters, I had to really screw the collet nut in quite a bit for it to grab. I didn't think anything of it. Then I read this:
By MariTool

It is always the best to use the max size shank tool for the max size collet. For example if you need to hold a .625 endmill it is aways best to use a collet that has a range of .625-.586 which is called a 5/8 collet. You can easily use a 16mm collet which has a .6299-.591 capacity for a 5/8 shank tool. I do it all the time with no problem. I guess you just have to keep in mind the more you compress a collet the less clamping you will have. I would say a 10-15% reduction. Concentricity should be the same.

So I looked around, and sure enough, inch sized collets. So I ordered a few. Son of a gun!! The cutters fit snugly in the collets. Well, time to order more inch collets.

Attachments

• 20220511_141030.jpg
    20220511_141030.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 3