• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Importing JDM vehicles

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Glad to see them get an new home instead of the alternative. Glad to also see you're just downsizing and not getting out completely.

COngrats on getting some awesome machines Justin. I love that truck, care to share some info? I've started the search for a replacement for my sierra 1500, and am looking for something heavier, perhaps with a flat or dump bed or even a hiab.
 
The truck is a 1991 Toyota Dyna 200 it's 2 ton right hand drive from Japan. Works good Canadian equivalent would be something like a Isuzu NPR

It's not the fastest thing in the world as it's only 3.7L diesel non turbo engines and tops out around 110km/hr empty on the flat and around 90-100km/hr loaded.

If your interested in import trucks you can get trucks with dump boxes from Japan for pretty reasonable shipped. Any size from 660cc Kei trucks to fill sized dump trucks.

A good site to check out if you not interested in bidding and more of a dealership experience is beforeward.jp

My wife's car is from them and was pretty easy experience compared to bidding like my first import truck. Keep in mind has to be over 15 years old to import.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20250904_154346854_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20250904_154346854_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
Thanks, NPR's are on my radar, as are a couple fusos and Hinos with hooklifts, or cable hoist roll off beds , yours looked just like a bigger kei truck, but on a full sized pickup frame but it's actually a bit smaller which is cool. Thanks for the site, I'll check it out. I want something different and a bit more capable than a regular old pickup. A roll off with a hiab, and different beds for different needs would be my ideal replacement.
 
I'm intrigued by a JDM truck to replace my 2008 F150. Not a massive urge because the truck is mostly parked but the smaller size is appealing.
 
Couple of Toyota JDM firetrucks on Cowichan Bay & Coquitlam Marketplace, bright red and cute as lady bugs. Just sayin’
 
A good site to check out if you not interested in bidding and more of a dealership experience is beforeward.jp

My wife's car is from them and was pretty easy experience compared to bidding like my first import truck. Keep in mind has to be over 15 years old to import.

Can you elaborate on the process of getting something from beforward.jp? Really temping to order something from there.

I'm wanting a truck to haul but a modern full size truck doesn't work well, and the smallest Ford Maverick is way too small to be usable.

How's parts for your wife's JDM? I once owned a prized 1990 JDM motorcycle but it was costly to maintain as there was zero used or new parts market her so sadly just got rid of it. I had to order oil filters from Japan, but maybe it's much better now. I put it up for sale at night and someone responded and drove 7 hours from Montreal overnight to be the first to grab it.
 
I've seen a few JDM trucks in the city and it's the perfect size always turns my head. One day I'll follow one home just to ask them how they are doing with the parts and maintenance lol
 
Back
Top