Tool Import gear cutters

Tool

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Anybody here use them? I'm starting to gather what I need to build my first model engine this winter, and the thought of buying a set of these gear cutters is tempting, but if I'm just going to light $100 on fire I'd rather not do that. I have read Ivan Laws book on gear cutting, have thought about building a eureka machine to cut my own tooling using the button method also, purely for the exercise in tool building as I think it would be a fun project but the practical side of me says just buy the damn cutters and get on with it, and stop all the side quests......

https://www.amazon.ca/Involute-Mill...mzn1.fos.71722c10-739d-471b-befb-3e4b9bf7d0d6

https://www.amazon.ca/8PCS-Milling-...mzn1.fos.71722c10-739d-471b-befb-3e4b9bf7d0d6

I'm pretty familiar with Chinese tooling standards, and have rolled the dice for many things in my home shop (and at work) pretty successfully quite a few times now, but am leery about these for some reason. Are my fears unfounded?

It would also be nice to cut the gears required for metric threading on my Myford which I think it 14.5 Pa like the first link? I can't remember off hand right now.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I have a set of these Chinese Involute cutters in inch and metric. There is nothing wrong with them, they work fine. Made gears for metric treading on my lathe with them and cut a new gear for my Nider drill press.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Thanks Ironman. Love your signature line BTW. Very true! I think i'm going to order a set of the 14.5Pa, and will evaluate once I get a chance to use them, and might order another set or two of appropriate module ones for the engines I'm going to build.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a couple sets of these in metric and most of them I have never used yet but bought them as a set to have on hand. They are very inexpensive compared to any non Asian made cutters and I could justify buying complete sets. I am happy with the quality and love cutting gears.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought a set of 20° DP1.25 gear cutters on Ali that worked just fine. The biggest problem was figuring out what I needed to match my change gears and then figuring out how to order that from Ali using their clothing color coding system. Somehow I managed to do it right because they worked just fine.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I also just noticed that the Diametral pitch on the ones I ordered is 16, and not 20 like the gears on the Myford.......Argh....That's what I get for trusting my memory.....

I did have a few project in mind that would require larger tooth gears so I'll keep them, but I really should have double checked before ordering. Oh well, guess I'll have to put that metric myford gear off for another while longer lol.

Tecnico

(Dave)
I also just noticed that the Diametral pitch on the ones I ordered is 16, and not 20 like the gears on the Myford.......Argh....That's what I get for trusting my memory.....

I did have a few project in mind that would require larger tooth gears so I'll keep them, but I really should have double checked before ordering. Oh well, guess I'll have to put that metric myford gear off for another while longer lol.

FYI, making the change gears to run metric threads would be more fun but if you find you’re in need ASAP you can get the correct, off the shelf Boston Gear items for your Myford (Super 7?) from BDI.

For mine I think it was GA33 & 34.

D :cool:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Today has been an expensive day. I am not normally a black friday consumer, but I have just completed all my Christmas shopping for the kids and the wife, plus a few extras for myself and the shop (new LED lights). I should have went in for OT today.....

New led lights for the garage shop, and the blacksmith shed will get the handme downs.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07F2WMCP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
I have those lights and they have been great.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
FYI, making the change gears to run metric threads would be more fun but if you find you’re in need ASAP you can get the correct, off the shelf Boston Gear items for your Myford (Super 7?) from BDI.

For mine I think it was GA33 & 34.

D :cool:
Ya there are a few options for just buying one. I might just do that.... I can get one from England for about $30. I did resin print one a few years ago, and it worked well, but broke when I got a little greedy with DOC. A tougher resin would probably fare much better. I was really surprised at how well it turned out though.

Anything metric I need to single point now I just take to work, but I'm anticipating that situation changing in the new year, so I'm trying to not rely on that option moving forward and bolster more of my capabilities in the home shop. Not working on motorcycles anymore my needs are very little. Maybe once or twice a year at best.

Funny, I watched a video the other day about a guy cutting a gear on the shaper with a contraption just like that. It moved my shaper up a half point on the to do list :D
If it helps, I made the gear cutting attachment out of some scrap metal I had laying around the shop, on the shaper it's self and lathe, using a chunk of hss that I had in my tool box. So, my biggest cost was a little bit of electricity........ No shipping, nor foriegn countries, just bragging rights that even I could do it. :)
And yes, it all began with a little video....lol

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
If it helps, I made the gear cutting attachment out of some scrap metal I had laying around the shop, on the shaper it's self and lathe, using a chunk of hss that I had in my tool box. So, my biggest cost was a little bit of electricity........ No shipping, nor foriegn countries, just bragging rights that even I could do it. :)
And yes, it all began with a little video....lol

That's how most of my projects begin lol. Too many damn good ideas out there. I really should just build a WEDM :D.

Jokes aside, That gear cutting system is pretty impressive though. Pretty simple, yet effective. And cheap.

That's how most of my projects begin lol. Too many damn good ideas out there. I really should just build a WEDM :D.

Jokes aside, That gear cutting system is pretty impressive though. Pretty simple, yet effective. And cheap.
As important as it is to advance technology, I believe it's equally important to preserve the old ways..... And since I can't afford the new stuff....:rolleyes:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

Ok I’ll bite, what’s a WEDM?