• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Images missing from post

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I finally felt well enough to venture into the shop so I took the afternoon off.
Made serious progress on the mill power feed.
Originally I planned to mount the feed on the right side of the table. That would have required boring out the ring gear to fit the end of the lead screw.
For reasons unknown to me, the two ends of the lead screw are different diameter. The left side fit the ring gear perfectly. So I revised the plan and decided to put it on the left side of the table.
I also decided to lay the drive horizontally front to back as that gave me more clearance over the base of the mill.
This also allowed me to use the round mounting collar that came with the unit.
(Huge thanks to @YotaBota for donating the regular horizontal mount but it proved unnecessary in the end.)

I faced off 1/2” of the collar and then bored it out so it slipped over the snout of the cast iron bracket that bolts onto the table.
(The pic below is a test to make sure it would fit snug on the bracket)
8208b9a5205fe6450316eb0536579b87.jpg

I then positioned the ring so the two of the three mounting holes in the above photo were horizontal on the cast iron bracket.
None of the two tapped holes in the collar matched up with the many holes in the unit but two spots were partially drilled and those worked perfectly.
582c8dde1afe66a84e8c9c568f8bae67.jpg

The gear and shaft is long so I parted it off at the threads.
83753da46b25be939c01d956665e6195.jpg

b1c9ce25defbd661e631ff14994d3c12.jpg

I still have to figure out how to secure the gear to the lead screw. It has a key way but there isn’t a matching one on the lead screw and don’t have a way to cut one into it. I may cross drill it and use a roll pin but I’d like to be able to adjust the gear mesh.
Another idea is to drill and tap the gear for a set screw or a pair of them on opposite sides. The lead screw is not hardened so I could easily file a flat into it for the screw(s) to land.

Edit: I also need to figure out a cover for the gear so that swarf and chips don't get in there.
One option is to make one from aluminum, the other option is to CAD one up and 3D print it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
Victoria, BC
South Bend 10K
Long Chang RF-30 mill
Millermatic 130 MIG
Primeweld 225 TIG
Unisaw blah blah blah
Like Like Quote Reply

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So wierd, I think it must have been my work blocking it at it's fine at home.

This is becoming a fact of life these days. Companies really don't have any choice but to block anything that could ever become infectious.

Photos in the forum are actually accessed via url links. Links are inherently dangerous. So they get blocked. Can't say I blame your company for that at all.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
This is becoming a fact of life these days. Companies really don't have any choice but to block anything that could ever become infectious.

Photos in the forum are actually accessed via url links. Links are inherently dangerous. So they get blocked. Can't say I blame your company for that at all.
Ordinarily that would make sense except that I could see images in other posts. Including Craig's response to me. Does warrant some investigation on my end though as we do block all inbound email images.