• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shop I’ll never complain about shop space again..

Shop

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
In my dad's later years he really did work out of a 8'x8' tin shed. He had so much stuff crammed in there it took me three days to clean it out when they moved.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
That vice would be a hard find these days.
Every vice I spend less than $200 bucks on these days don't hold up for very long. I bought a Mastercraft maximum multi purpose vice a few years back and the back jaw busted off within days using a homemade dowel puller.
I picked up an 8" forward vise from amazon a couple years back (CR80A) and it has taken a good beating so far, rebuilding break calipers side using my homemade dowel puller, pulling seized slider pins. The Forward vice from amazon certainly holds up.

I'd hit that 30 year vice with some Lloyds moovit and put it into service. Or better yet, just sell it to me please !
I have to wonder what he is thinking with his finger in that vise.....

My father-in-law gave me a floor mounted vise just like that 30 years ago. I've never installed it because it is rusted solid. Someday......

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I bought a nice leg vise like that about 7-8 years ago, but mine has a back table I think I paid $80 or something, which I thought was pretty fair at the time. I tossed it in the back of the truck, under the tonneau cover and away I went on my way home. When I turned the corner to get on the highway it shifted and proped itself up on the table portion sticking the leg part up through my cover....... I drove with the cover ripped for a few years until I finally found another replacement I thought was a good enough deal for $150. So that's the story of my $230 leg vise.

I STILL haven't mounted it yet either........

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
I've seen a couple over the years. just never pulled the trigger on 1. Always something else more important needed to part with the cash. Would be a nice nostalgia piece set up, cracking brazil nuts in the corner.

Attachments

• floor vice.jpg
    floor vice.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 6

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've been chipping away at acquiring some blacksmithing tools and equipment for a while now with the end goal of building a lean to off the back of the barn to set it all up in. As one who's always browsing marketplace and kijiji I'll spring for something I might not need now, but if it's a good deal and its close (and I have the cash), because I might not find a better one. Only a few things left to finish up on my propane/coal forge combo and I'll be ready to start into yet another facet of this trade... But first I have to finish my sawmill to mill the wood for the barn addition. Life is a journey......:D

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
In my dad's later years he really did work out of a 8'x8' tin shed. He had so much stuff crammed in there it took me three days to clean it out when they moved.
We aren’t there just yet, but finding shops to rent/use is getting impossible. I don’t have any answers but that’s not helping hobbyists, of any ilk

No politics