• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shop I’ll never complain about shop space again..

Shop

Xyphota

Ultra Member
For those who havent checked out Clickspring’s new video, his shop is teeny! Like a literal broom closet. He does a great job making it look big on camera, I had assumed it was like a 2 car garage haha! Here is the relevant snapshot from his video:
A35A2C39-C229-4DAA-BC1F-CF11D75C368F.jpeg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow that is small! Once in a while I too complain about not having enough room, particularly after seeing some fellas huge shops, but then it's not too hard find others with much less room than me and they are turning out way more quality stuff than I am. I am glad to have what I have.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
A good reminder, the quality and intrigue of what he's able make is incredible, all the more so for operating in a broom cupboard.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
One of the most prolific, and quite frankly one of the best rifle barrel makers in N.A. built (drilled, reamed, chambered & contoured) his barrels for 20 yrs in an old 12 x 14 grain bin he converted to a shop (farm west of Trochu Ab.). He had a work bench on one side, a "still complete" big old lathe down the middle and a lathe bed with a hand sled on the ways to ream& rifle on the other side. A big ol' pot bellied coal stove kept the uninsulated building warm during work day.
The man built competition quality barrels that rivaled any of the largest barrel making houses in the U.S. in the most spartan conditions imaginable to run such a precision operation.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One of the most prolific, and quite frankly one of the best rifle barrel makers in N.A. built (drilled, reamed, chambered & contoured) his barrels for 20 yrs in an old 12 x 14 grain bin he converted to a shop (farm west of Trochu Ab.). He had a work bench on one side, a "still complete" big old lathe down the middle and a lathe bed with a hand sled on the ways to ream& rifle on the other side. A big ol' pot bellied coal stove kept the uninsulated building warm during work day.
The man built competition quality barrels that rivaled any of the largest barrel making houses in the U.S. in the most spartan conditions imaginable to run such a precision operation.

I think I have heard of this guy but I don't ever recall hearing his name or contact info. Who is/was that? A PM would be just fine if you prefer.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
Smart creative people can get by quite nicely in a small area, and the workflow is probably more efficient. I worked with a fellow who did wood working in a basement utility room, maybe 12 x 12 in size, which also contained the furnace and hot water tank, and he was producing dining room sets with table, chairs, china cabinets etc. Me, on the other hand, struggle to make a bird house in my 24 x 30.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I'm fairly well organized for those that have seen my space, my challenge is more that I keep two vehicles in the same space, so it's a challenge to leave that much floor space available in an 18x20.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Remember though he also builds tiny clocks etc. so it's not like he is working on giant stuff. His work is amazing though. Great inspiration.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Some UK model engineers use the word 'shed' which I thought was just equivalent to our shop / man cave / whatever. Nope they really mean shed. Seasonal temperature & fuel supply for stove sometimes dictate if its going to be hobby time or not. Where there is a will there is a way, but I am thankful for our space, creature comforts & affordability compared to other parts of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Since I built another 'shed' during 'covid'. ( Less grass to cut in the backyard so I'm saving $ on lawnmower fuel ) I must have some UK model engineering in my blood. I should get a blood test, cuz I'm upside down with the investment I put in their to date, but I have another shed! I've been stashing everything I think will be needed for a basement hobby shop after retirement 4 years from now. Well 4 years, 34 days and 12hrs to go :rolleyes:.

The angle iron, tubing along with different material grades are already rusting on the shelf. If the Tremclad rust paint continues to go up like it has, I will have a bunch of welded up rusty benches and tool carts. I may need a few more wire wheels by then.

Yes, if the world shakes itself out by then :mad:. I'm not looking forward to eating crickets and grasshoppers to balance my diet.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I have finally met my match!

If I look closely, I can see pure chaos that is organized even better than mine!

I have to wonder what he is thinking with his finger in that vise.....

My father-in-law gave me a floor mounted vise just like that 30 years ago. I've never installed it because it is rusted solid. Someday......

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I have finally met my match!

If I look closely, I can see pure chaos that is organized even better than mine!

I have to wonder what he is thinking with his finger in that vise.....

My father-in-law gave me a floor mounted vise just like that 30 years ago. I've never installed it because it is rusted solid. Someday......
Everyone forgets that this guy probably knows exactly where everything is. To us, unorganized chaos. For him, you want this? No problem. It's right here...

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Everyone forgets that this guy probably knows exactly where everything is. To us, unorganized chaos. For him, you want this? No problem. It's right here...

I don't forget that at all.

He and I are probably related. In fact, I think he might be my real dad. Prolly @Dabbler's dad too. :eek:

Even if not, he is definitely my role model.

Seriously, I knew a guy just like him once. A true genius. His office had paper stacks everywhere 4 ft high and his shop was worse. If you asked him for anything at all, he knew exactly where it was. He has been gone for ages now but the guy was a walking encyclopedia. Amazing old man.