If you were to buy a rotary table again- would you change it’s size?

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
You guys are no help, I felt sure everyone would say that 6” was more than enough…

Ok, I’ll get an 8” and then when I can’t lift it anymore I’ll fill it with helium…

Thankyou for everyone that chimed in!!! I’d thank you all personally but I’ve just spent 3 days up in the attic of our house and it’s sucked the life out of me… One day, I’ll learn to pay people to do the crappy jobs, so I have more time to plot how I’m going to lift the rotary table that’s too heavy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
so I have more time to plot how I’m going to lift the rotary table that’s too heavy.

Just get a rolling cart and build a wooden (or welded) platform the same height as your mill table and just slide it on or off. It's even easier if you have a mill table height that is adjustable or a lift on your cart cuz then you can always slide down. If the cart is big enough you can also put dividing heads and the like on it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
When you purchase your RT be sure to get the indexing kit that goes with the RT. The after market kits leave a lot to be desired.....

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought a used 12" News *(Yuasa) close to 30 years ago, wouldn't want it any smaller. A plate on top is a good idea to extend it, but more cost, time to make and futzing about when you go to use it.
It’s amazing how fast even that size becomes too small! I have one OE Bridgeport of that size and had to McGyver setups in the past because it was too small…

Remember: you can always put a small part on a large RT; but a large part does not work on a small RT.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You guys are no help, I felt sure everyone would say that 6” was more than enough…

Ok, I’ll get an 8” and then when I can’t lift it anymore I’ll fill it with helium…

Thankyou for everyone that chimed in!!! I’d thank you all personally but I’ve just spent 3 days up in the attic of our house and it’s sucked the life out of me… One day, I’ll learn to pay people to do the crappy jobs, so I have more time to plot how I’m going to lift the rotary table that’s too heavy.
When you get your RT get one that lets you mount it 90 degrees. and think about a chuck for it. I have an 8". It's heavy enough!

What were you doing in the attic Steve? Air sealing by chance? How did it go?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a 6" import horizontal/vertical with dividing plates and a 12" Yuasa horizontal only with dividing plates and an excellent vernier dial setup. I'm going to sell the 6" and buy a 8 or 10" H&V table. That would suit 90% of my needs. I will keep the 12" though. Its sooo nice...

trevj

Ultra Member
Yeah, I have a six inch Emco, a gift from a now passed friend, and it suits me well enough for now, but my mill (Centec 2A) uses MT-2, for it's spindle taper, and 6 inches is gonna about max out the room on the table. It's a BIG R/T, for the size of table it is on!

Gotta admit, that rather than mounting the table on it's edge, I would really like to find a well made, universal dividing head, that was of a scale to suit that mill! IIRC, Hardinge made one nearly perfect, but the few of those I have seen change hands, did so at prices that were eye watering, to say the least! IIRC, Ellis made some that were almost as small, though not as refined.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Eventually… I’ll get a rotary table for my mill.

I like the 8”, but thinking of 15 years from now I may not appreciate the +60lb weight of it…

Today, I can’t imagine needing a rotary table bigger than 6” (probably even 4”) which has led to the question of this post: If you were to buy a rotary table again- would you change it’s size?
I have an 8 Inch Vertex I bought at House of Tools years ago. It has a 6 inch chuck so is about all I care to lift. As I get each year older it gets pounds heavier. My mill table is 35 inches so for that reason I wouldn't want it any bigger. At some point I will build a rolling stand that will hold my 2 vises and the RT so I can just slide them on and off the table. A small RT or a Spin Indexer would be mighty convenient for small jobs. I could just grab it in the vise and use it that way without mounting the RT.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
What were you doing in the attic Steve? Air sealing by chance? How did it go?
My wife wanted some soffit pot lights and while the electrician was doing that we got some soffit receptacles for Christmas lights, and while that was being done I decided to run the cables for some security cameras and put a couple of 1.5” conduits from the attic to the basement.

And not being the crispest chip in the bag I volunteered to do most of the work in the attic… I did let the electrician drill through the top plate and through a cable though. All fixed now, except for drywalling where I had to cut open the wall…

I’d rather be struggling to lift an 8” rotary table than ventilating my scalp with roofing nails.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This is a 6" that I bought many years ago just to mount a 3-jaw chuck to do dividing work with it in the vertical position. Perfectly suited for that purpose, but for actual RT work, it's way to small. I'd like to get a 10" one of these days, and maybe mount a 12"-14" plate on top when required.

Attachments

• 20231023_104658.jpg
    20231023_104658.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231023_104609.jpg
    20231023_104609.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231022_182856.jpg
    20231022_182856.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 19