• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Ideas on sharing the same power source

Kris Jensen

Hey I was just wondering, I just put in a 240v 50amp in my garage and I really just need to use the one plug for everything I got, cause I won't be using two machines at the same time but I am sick of always having to unplug and plug in whatever I'm working on next. I was wondering if there is a switch system I can use that will allow me to plug everything into the same plug and use a switch to change where the power gets relayed to.

Kris Jensen

Right now I'm thinking of getting a sub panel and putting 4 breakers in it that way if someone does try to use two or more machines at the same time the breaker will go off in the garage and not at the main panel in the house

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Just put in a second plug on the same circuit, if that's allowed? If you use both plugs at once then the breaker trips. A sub -panel would be convenient though. I have one and it is nice.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Just put in a second plug on the same circuit, if that's allowed? If you use both plugs at once then the breaker trips. A sub -panel would be convenient though. I have one and it is nice.
This is what I was doing for awhile. As long as you don't need to run both devices at the same time it's perfect. Saves from needing an electrician to come in too. Not sure about building codes, but I can't imagine this is an issue, just not "best practice".

Having said that, a subpanel would save you from running into the house when something goes sideways, and is likely considered the "proper" solution anyways.

M

Max Simons

Best thing to do is swap the 50A receptacle out for a small sub panel. Then you can have individual circuits for all the stuff you have. I'm an electrician, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Kris Jensen

Best thing to do is swap the 50A receptacle out for a small sub panel. Then you can have individual circuits for all the stuff you have. I'm an electrician, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Thx max I think that's what I'll do, I will definitely ask you anything I'm not sure on