• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

I would call this misleading lies....

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ordered a few different threading dies off Amazon, after reading the description in Amazon, I figured I would be getting American made dies. They made such a big fuss about American facilities, materials and workers and then they send me made in China stuff.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01BM4HEW4/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No, they didn't say they were made in America, but am I just naive to actually fall for that bs or is that not misleading??!!
I wonder if Donald Trump is behind this company.

Then below is the blurb on the amazon description about the other "Vermont American" die I ordered.
Amazon.ca Product Description
Vermont American offers a full line of American-made threading tools manufactured from the highest quality steel for clean, accurate cuts. Our Black Max line offers a complete collection of taps, dies and screw extractors that combine maximum corrosion resistance with precision cutting performance.
From the Manufacturer
Vermont American offers a full line of American-made threading tools manufactured from the highest quality steel for clean, accurate cuts. Our Black Max line offers a complete collection of taps, dies and screw extractors that combine maximum corrosion resistance with precision cutting performance.

IMG_20190206_1332164.jpg IMG_20190206_1332242.jpg IMG_20190206_1332354.jpg IMG_20190206_1332409.jpg

Oh well if they were actually made in the USA they would be out of place in my shop!!! My tools all speak Chinese! LOL

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
1. Vermont American dies and taps don't have "stellar" consumer reputation
2. Misleading Amazon product description are all over the place. At least if you ordered 1/4-18 NPT and you actually got 1/4-18 NPT you should be happy. It is frequent to see picture of item X and get item Y.
3. Amazon consumer service is best in class. If you are unsatisfied just ask to get a refund. They may or may not ask to get it shipped back.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
place. At least if you ordered 1/4-18 NPT and you actually got 1/4-18 NPT you should be happy. It is frequent to see picture of item X and get item Y.
Actually NPT is not what I ordered or was advertised, but that is what I got. Oh well I guess I can always use dies.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well in that case if you don't want to keep it or want a full refund contact customer support - there is a 50% - 50% chance they let you keep it anyway and refund you the $.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well in that case if you don't want to keep it or want a full refund contact customer support - there is a 50% - 50% chance they let you keep it anyway and refund you the $.
Yes their return policy is excellent. If the dies were not cheap to begin with and that I can use them I certainly would return them.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
No, they didn't say they were made in America, but am I just naive to actually fall for that bs or is that not misleading??!!
I wonder if Donald Trump is behind this company.

Oh well if they were actually made in the USA they would be out of place in my shop!!! My tools all speak Chinese! LOL

Don't feel badly. We've all been stung this way I think. You (we all) need to treat Amazon ads like hostile witnesses to protect ourselves. You're right: they didn't say THE ONES they were shipping you were USA made.

I remember in the 80's when McDonalds came under fire for their meat, and they responded by saying, "We only use 100% beef in our burgers" Technically this is true. Of the meat used in their burgers it was 100% beef. That doesn't mean there aren't fillers as well.

Apparently Trump likes McDonalds. If there were an emoji for a strange coincidence, I'd insert it here.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I would say that the "100% beef" is as USDA defines pure beef - the meat in there may not exactly biologically be 100% beef. There are provisions for limits of "contamination" in all food. Exciting to find out how many "insect parts" there can be in your food.