• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

I took a vacation. To Guelph. To lift a 1000 pound stair into place.

So Yesterday Dave got to drive the tractor from our mutual friend Brian's...

Tom got to use the tractor for the actual work.

I drove it home. Kids with their toys

1791586457879.jpeg



We prepped the step on an angle in the slings so when it was pushed backwaards int place it would be better aligned.

1791586554739.jpeg


Bu the best laid plans... dont always work out the first time. The mortar was not dry and in the process of sliding the top step into place despite my repeated warnings to lift their side higher they didn't and dragged their end and dislodged the supporting rear partial stone.

So we decided to stop here, add a brick ledge support and to reset the dislodged stone in fresh mortar later in the week.

We had to get the tractor back...

Also, if you ever think, do I need a tractor, the answer is yes. Yes you do.
 
Used to have in-laws who emigrated from England in the late 90s. Uncle-in-law was constantly amazed by North American concept of home improvement. Over here, everyone is a painter / carpenter / plumber / electrician / mason / auto mechanic. Back home in Coventry, all that sort of stuff was done by the council on-call tradesman, and only hobbyists fixed their own cars. As I get older I begin to see the wisdom in hiring others to do the heavy lifting.
 
I'm fine with that change in my own thinking too. HOWEVER, if they can't or won't meet my expectations for cost, quality, and timing, then I am back to... Get out! I'll do it myself!!!
My friend is not a pauper.

But trying to get someone to do a tricky task at an affordable price is not easy.

Plus the more I save him the more he can spend in his shop.

But I have now said repeatedly that I think I am done moving machines.

BUT I can be tempted...
 
Back
Top