I think I need a new cross slide...

KeeponDragon

Super User
@KeeponDragon - do you have a welder?

T-nuts are easy to make, a piece of flatbar the right thickness and width for the bottom wide part, a piece of flat bar that fits the narrow part and weld them across the ends. Then drill and tap the hole, done.
Might not be the prettiest girls at the dance but at this time I believe you need function over form.

The other thing to do is to use a punch to collapse the threads on the bottom so you can't screw thru and jam on the bottom of the cross slide.
I do have a welder yes. And that isn't a stupid idea either.
I'll take a look at Craigs PM next :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't mind being corrected, so long as the effort doesn't carry the intent to make me feel stupid for not knowing the details.

I often find it difficult to balance the need to make sure others understand the points I make yet avoid making others feel stupid. Sometimes I even apologize after reading what I write. In any event, the primary issue here is quite complicated. You are not the first to get bitten by this issue and you will not be the last. If you search the forum you will find a graveyard full of T-Slots that have been damaged or trashed because of this problem. There is no need to take any offense - you are in great company with some very smart very experienced guys who were badly bitten too.

I agree it is a simple milling job. Except that I simply don't have a mill.

If you give me your dimensions, I'll make 4 long nuts for you. No charge. Not even for the steel. Just postage and patience. I don't do anything fast anymore. :rolleyes:

I stand by my last post tho.
I really like this forum.

Me too! It's a very cool place filled with very cool people!

KeeponDragon

Super User
...... Well, that is not exactly true.... A dedicated mill maybe not, but the lathe is the one machine that can truly do it all. It's a pain in the butt to try and do everything on it, but a savior on the days that you do.....
I'm limited on functionality and tooling. But I do 100% agree with you. It's just a little harder to make parts with the lathe, for the lathe, when the parts that are suspect aren't in sharp enough tolerance to make the parts needed to put the lathe to better tolerances lol

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm limited on functionality and tooling. But I do 100% agree with you. It's just a little harder to make parts with the lathe, for the lathe, when the parts that are suspect aren't in sharp enough tolerance to make the parts needed to put the lathe to better tolerances lol

Making the key is going to be fun.... I need the pulley on the mill to make the key yet I need the pulley off the mill to check the fit:(

Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees and eating one elephant is no different than the others, it's just one bite at a time... Just remember, if you start with the trunk, you may be stuck with the a$$ at the end.... Lol
If you have access to a drill and some taps you can make a rudimentary angle plate out of a chunk of angle iron, gently using your hokey nuts, bolt it to the cross slide and using what ever packing you can find to get your work piece on the right hight. You can mill off the top, flip it over and do the other side, drill and tap the holes and cut them to length. You will have to bugger around a bit to get everything lined up and square, but the smile on your face at the end of the day will be bigger doing it this way vrs spending your way out.
Drill as many holes as you need in your new little angle plate to hold things securely. If you are concerned about bolting it directly to the cross slide, put a piece of cereal box between the two to cushion the blow....
Have a great day in the shop, you earned it. ;)