• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

I need an RV propane system technician

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
Our motorhome just developed a strong odour of propane inside. Anybody know an RV propane system technician who could check it out ASAP?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Spray bottle of soapy water to locate leak is what I'd use if a technician isn't available. If there has been any recent work with lines/appliances that's the first place to check, then I'd go to hot water heater and fridge next.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thank you for your suggestions but I am unable to get into the areas required as I have limited mobility.

John, if I were you with your limitations I would do exactly as you plan to do. Turn off the propane tanks, open the windows, let it air out, and call a licensed RV propane repair guy. If the smell is really strong, I'd just open the door until the smell of ethyl mercaptan is reduced sufficiently to feel safe about going in to open windows.

Remember that ethyl mercaptan was deliberately chosen as an oderant because humans can smell it at extremely low concentrations.

van123d

I used to be a licensed RV technician while I was putting myself through school. I gave up my license a few years ago after 10+ years of not working on it.
The advice here is good, Shut off the propane, air it out.

Before you call someone it is worth checking a few simple things, check that the stove burner is not left on a crack, also depending on the year/type of stove it may have pilots for the oven and burners. Usually the oven will have a thermocouple which will shut off the pilot gas if it goes out but the burner will not. If you hear electronic ticking when lighting the burner or have the separate spark knob you do not have burner pilots.

I would spray some soapy water on the bottle connections, rubber hoses, and regulator. Those are common sources of leaks and should be readily accessible. It is uncommon for a leak to suddenly occur elsewhere unless work was recently done.

Were you running the furnace?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
John, I assume you turned off the main propane valve. Be careful to avoid any possible sparks until every space has been vented, make sure than any low cabinets and the underside of the RV are very well vented because propane is heavier than air and will pool in such spaces... as you open such spaces and any propane starts to ventilate out and dilute it will pass thru the region where is is explosive... the limits of flammability for propane are between 2.1% and 9.5%...

I wish I was close and able to help you out...

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
We immediately closed the main tank shut off valve. The motor home has a built in propane tank.

Problem solved. My wife found a Mechanic specializing in propane vehicles who agreed to do a pressure test. He found a crack in the main copper feeder pipe. $380 later we picked up the motor home. Happy happy.