• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

I need a magnifier

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I bought my Dbit grinder some time ago and each time I use it I strip down part of it to clean out the old grease, deburr the sharp edges and remove paint from the machined surfaces. Otherwise its not too bad. My latest use for it was to make some dovetails to hold a DTI. I ground a dovetail cutter from a broken carbide endmill. It's really small and my old eyes definitely need a magnifier.

Attachments

• PXL_20231230_230924432.jpg
    PXL_20231230_230924432.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20231228_233417910.jpg
    PXL_20231228_233417910.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20231230_193113487.jpg
    PXL_20231230_193113487.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20231230_193246226.jpg
    PXL_20231230_193246226.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 19

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought a magnifying light from Lee Valley. Wasn’t cheap but but it’s really effective.

Perry

Ultra Member
Princess auto has 3.00+ reading glasses. Cheap and work pretty good for me. Believe it or not I use these to work on watches. I do have proper loupes, but these are just too easy. My eye sight is pretty good , so these might not work for you.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Optivisor was/is (?) the standard for headband magnifiers. The LeeValley knockoff (which I also own) doesn't get used, but I got a cheap copy from Amazon/China that's also pretty good.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HRM9GW9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?th
Having a couple of different magnifications available is convenient. You can swap lenses but I just have different headsets.
One safety note- the magnifier tempts you to get your face close to the work, so pay attention to that.
Having the loupes and light setup my dentist uses will have to wait for the next life cycle, I think. :)

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Princess auto has 3.00+ reading glasses. Cheap and work pretty good for me. Believe it or not I use these to work on watches. I do have proper loupes, but these are just too easy. My eye sight is pretty good , so these might not work for you.
My eyesight is good. I don't wear glasses. I've had cataract surgery which gave me great distance vision but I lost the ability to adjust to closeup situations.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Optivisor was/is (?) the standard for headband magnifiers. The LeeValley knockoff (which I also own) doesn't get used, but I got a cheap copy from Amazon/China that's also pretty good.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HRM9GW9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?th
Having a couple of different magnifications available is convenient. You can swap lenses but I just have different headsets.
One safety note- the magnifier tempts you to get your face close to the work, so pay attention to that.
Having the loupes and light setup my dentist uses will have to wait for the next life cycle, I think. :)
The amazon ones are one that I have been looking at.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's a bench mount.

I have one similar to that except mine has a small 10x (?) loupe built into it. I find I use the small higher magnification window more than the big one. Because of that, I highly recommend a version like that if you can find it.

Besides closing the lid, I also slip a plastic zip-lock baggie over the head to provide extra dust protection.

Lastly, mine has a weighted base so it can be quickly moved when needed. I wish I could find a handheld one though.

This one is similar but mine has an elbow and is definitely higher magnification than 1.75 and 4.

OttLite LED Space-Saving Magnifier Desk Lamp | Task Lamp, Table Lamp | 1.75x Optical-Grade Magnifier, 4X Spot Viewer | Great for Home, Office, Dorm, Workshop (Grey) https://a.co/d/itxrJPt

Last edited:

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
1704114977267.png
I have two of these Optivisors in different magnifications. The lights are really handy for looking into crevices.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Does anybody have any experience with the usb microscopes? I see a few youtubers use them, and they look like just the thing for inspecting toolbits, and drills etc. I have a few spare tablets/phones laying around that could be better put to use.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a magnifier app I sometimes use on my phone. I like it and I hate it. Too many advertisements.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice dovetail D-bit job! Looks like your grinder is more like the newer gen, like Shars. What collet does it take & where did you buy it?

I unscrewed the useless light that was mounted on my Accusize grinder. I'm mulling over something like this I can swing in & out of action for both light & magnification. I could use it for my scroll saw too but its kind of the same thing - sometimes I want it there, sometimes not.

But I also have an Optivisor which I can swing down to see through or up out of the way. They are ok but overrated IMO. The lens is fine but there is very little in the way of head strap other than tension. The strap orientation presses on my coconut more across the forehead so I can wear it for long duration without getting a headache. Maybe if I had Charlie Brown head. Optivisor makes a little swing down magnifier but the screw stud mounting is cheesy, I cant get the right tension to stay put & not loosen over time.

1704125639691.png

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Nice dovetail D-bit job! Looks like your grinder is more like the newer gen, like Shars. What collet does it take & where did you buy it?

I unscrewed the useless light that was mounted on my Accusize grinder. I'm mulling over something like this I can swing in & out of action for both light & magnification. I could use it for my scroll saw too but its kind of the same thing - sometimes I want it there, sometimes not.

But I also have an Optivisor which I can swing down to see through or up out of the way. They are ok but overrated IMO. The lens is fine but there is very little in the way of head strap other than tension. The strap orientation presses on my coconut more across the forehead so I can wear it for long duration without getting a headache. Maybe if I had Charlie Brown head. Optivisor makes a little swing down magnifier but the screw stud mounting is cheesy, I cant get the right tension to stay put & not loosen over time.

View attachment 42388
Mine is an Accusize as well. It has R8 collets, which worked for me because I have both metric and inch R8 collets for my milling machine.