• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

I killed my favorite hammer today

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My dad gave me this hammer, many years ago (30ish):

51121633007_5390355f48_c.jpg
51122998375_bb1b707f59_c.jpg

So i will need a new one. I'll find the same one eventually, but in the meantime, I built a quick and dirty soft hammer in about 15 mins tonight. Here's some pics:

51122204326_a41d5e0656_c.jpg

This is a tow hook from a Kia. They are to be disposed of when doing the PDI on a new car. They are some type of chromo for sure. I dispose of them right into my stock bin for future projects. I have made a bunch of chuck keys, hammers, bushings and fittings out of them.

51122204426_2cac89b76b_c.jpg

Took a quick skim cut, left some remnants of the thread for grip. Remember, this was quick and dirty.

51121633667_f1f1f724be_c.jpg
51122998585_bbea091960_c.jpg

Flipped her around and power tapped the other end. Always trying to preserve some length, i inserted a 2" chunk of grade 8 3/8-16 ready rod slathered in loctite.

51121633682_75b758d9fb_c.jpg

If you go to: https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=71&acctid=20111 . you'll see this same chunk of aluminium sitting on top of my lathe way back in ohio. I drove 48 hours for this chunk of metal, so i'm keeping it forever!

51121633727_8cfb1ed147_c.jpg

Quick drill n tap, counterbore

51122204856_c45d5830a8_c.jpg
51122204791_0da6b389e4_c.jpg

More loctite, cranked it as tight as i could, and she's done. Quick and easy, but not the prettiest girl at the prom, but she'll get the job done.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Nice work. I get the sentimental aspect of older tools from parents. I have a few hand-me-downs I kept. I normally don't use them for fear of destroying them, but one screwdriver that meant a lot to me I did ruin. However, I cut off the remaining shaft and used it to make a rivet in a old shovel of my dad's that was failing. So I was able to reuse the material to fix another old tool of his in the end.

I smile everytime I use the shovel.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice work. I get the sentimental aspect of older tools from parents. I have a few hand-me-downs I kept. I normally don't use them for fear of destroying them, but one screwdriver that meant a lot to me I did ruin. However, I cut off the remaining shaft and used it to make a rivet in a old shovel of my dad's that was failing. So I was able to reuse the material to fix another old tool of his in the end.

I smile everytime I use the shovel.

Good save on the shovel!

My dad passed in 93 when i was 18, so i do cherish all the old tools I still have from him. I use them. I'm figuring out how i can save this hammer. I may try recasting the head. Not only is it the sentimental value, but i really liked using it.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm not real happy with how i left it, so i'm heading back out to the shop for some improvements. Stay tuned

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Good save on the shovel!

My dad passed in 93 when i was 18, so i do cherish all the old tools I still have from him. I use them. I'm figuring out how i can save this hammer. I may try recasting the head. Not only is it the sentimental value, but i really liked using it.
That's pretty young to lose your dad. When you get old and cranky like me, you'll look back on those old tools and smile. It helps.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's pretty young to lose your dad. When you get old and cranky like me, you'll look back on those old tools and smile. It helps.

I have my Grampas tools too and i love using them. I'm an auto tech, and i have some at work, and i grab em before the new snapon stuff. Its that feeling....

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So, i was pretty happy that i made a hammer just in time to read my son his bedtime story. But after he was sawing logs and i looked at the pics that I posted, i decided i could make a few improvements. The balance was off and the proportions were off and the finish was bad. I fixed some of it, but im now considering this to be the first run prototype. I'm not normally this bored but covid lockdowns...

here's some pics. Everyone still loves pics, right?

51122482326_28423b4e26_c.jpg

Weight reduction

51123277960_9352d41788_c.jpg

This is all she's getting for indexing tonight

51123277715_3825dc4ccc_c.jpg

Instantly killed a hss 1/2" endmill. Solid carbide was good to go. Yup its chromo. Took 040 off each side. D shaped handle now.

51122482806_304d460d34_c.jpg

More super precision indexing.

51122484336_5d48ccfb15_c.jpg

0.100 off each side of the head, matches D shaped handle

51122387828_1eba5b5cb4_c.jpg

I was going to checker the handle with the shaper (like my old handle) while i relax with a beer but that won't work. This stuff is a HSS axe murderer. Im going to have to tilt the head...someday,,,,

so i gave er the ol hot oil treatment

51122228019_c14d4e0fc5_c.jpg
51123280735_f056ec6557_c.jpg

51121914492_390c769aed_b.jpg

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh yea, i was going to bore the head on my lathe for some faces, but that aint happenin... back to the mill

51123279230_8ae35e0b4c_c.jpg

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I have my Grampas tools too and i love using them. I'm an auto tech, and i have some at work, and i grab em before the new snapon stuff. Its that feeling....
I get that and I don’t at the same time. I had a snap on wooden handle hammer for close to 20 years and I gave it away to a friend. Replaced with the newer style snap on rubber grip one. I hate the new soft grip snap on screwdrivers but love the hard handle ones. I’ll never buy a snap on ratchet with a hard or soft handle either, I prefer the classic look and feel of no handles

I guess we’re all different that way in what we like to use

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I get that and I don’t at the same time. I had a snap on wooden handle hammer for close to 20 years and I gave it away to a friend. Replaced with the newer style snap on rubber grip one. I hate the new soft grip snap on screwdrivers but love the hard handle ones. I’ll never buy a snap on ratchet with a hard or soft handle either, I prefer the classic look and feel of no handles

I guess we’re all different that way in what we like to use

Most of my hand tools are Snap On, I make my living with them. I'm with you on the screwdrivers, but I have a bunch of Snap On ratchets with and without handles, and I like them both to be honest. Mostly have the handles on the longer ratchets. All the new ratchets that i buy now have no handles because I don't want my son having to hunt down handles in 30 years from now.

The comment about using the old tools at work from my dad and my grampa mainly is about a select few tools where I've tried to find comparable new tools to replace them and can't. My Grampas T&B wire strippers/crimpers that are probably 60 years old are one example. I have 3-4 different SO, Mac, etc in my box at work, and I always grab the old Thomas and Betts first. They work and feel better. Like the hammer in my first post. I ordered a few different one's on Ebay. I doubt they will be any good though.

I put some faces on the new hammer today. They have a 1" dia, 0.750 long spigot pressed and glued into the head. Never coming out.

51126744338_8e004dc8a5_c.jpg
51126567447_4dd981f777_c.jpg