I Got Lucky

MrWhoopee

I spotted this ad for a 6" Buck Adjust Tru 6 jaw on FB for $150. Even better, it was in Redding, CA, which is about 45 miles from me.

1712587693224.png
I contacted the seller and was told it was still available. Told him I would like to meet and he went dark. His FB profile was new, which should have made me suspicious to begin with. A little searching revealed that the images were lifted from an eBay listing for significantly more money and not in Redding.

1712587867449.png

Checking his profile, I found a couple of other listings. Google image searches revealed that they had been lifted from Offerup, neither in Redding and one of them 5 years old. He had turned off commenting on the chuck listing, but not on the other two, so I commented.

It's a jungle out there, be careful.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
He was probably looking for advance payment to "hold it" - say $50.

He did not play his cards well - I think he is new. He should agree to meet you & give you even an address.

Then say that someone else is coming and whatever you want to deposit $50 to hold it - create sense of urgency.

His address should be somewhere where almost no one lives - so anyone interested would be 40 miles away or more.

ChazzC

When I listed my "excess" stuff late last year I had a bunch of people hitting the "Is this still available" button, most of whom were new members. I also had those wanting to buy but ghosted me when I asked when they wanted to meet. I solved most of these issues by adding "If the posting is current and not marked PENDING, this item is available so don't ask useless questions." I may have lost interest from some serious buyers, but in the end I sold everything except the 7x16 backsplash and a couple of micrometer balls.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If selling expensive stuff - over few hundred $$$ and especially in 1000s you will get a lot of scam buyers - make 100% sure that if not paying via cash that the payment clears your bank and is interact payment.

I had a case of fake interact email - so be careful there.

They are even willing to send fellow scammers in physical form to pick up your goods - i.e. they "fake" pay you, send someone, possibly a scammer, but could be innocent party, to pick up the goods.

When selling cars / trucks 90% of traffic is scam. For years now they have automated systems that scan marketplace and immediately email you once you post.

Canada has super weak anti scamming laws. We are an easy target that is devoid of any defenses.

I don't like electronic payments - even interact can be reversed when scammer simply hacked someone's interact account and paid you with essentially stolen money.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I don't think any transaction is 100% safe - cash may seem safe until you find out about fake bills.

Meet buyer in person, use short contract, ask for an ID (in person not over email) over email ID could be of someone hacked. Find out more about buyer - does he have say a company?

terry_g

Ultra Member
I have sold a lot of things on Kijiji over the past few years and have never been scammed. I had a couple interested buyers that set off alarm bells and I politely refused to deal with them.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Likewise. I have bought and sold a load of stuff on FB Marketplace and never had a scammy experience. Some odd seller behaviour but never scammy.
I and perhaps my local market may be an exception.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I found that scams when you are the seller start at around $500 & preferably something that can easily be resold.
Had multiple times (like 10+) seller trying to "pay me some electronic way" and then "movers" will come to take it.
Had once fake etransfer email - looked like etransfer but was not. Had once someone use fake stolen driver license. Contacted the actual owner of DL but never got a response.
Few times, but long ago, I had the good old "I send you more & ask for refund" deals.
For $20 and under I usually just leave stuff outside and get $ under the carpet. If they have no cash just e-transfer, I wait for payment to clear - sometimes its almost instant, sometimes 30min.

Upnorth

Years ago I ran into a scam on kijiji. First clue I got that something was up when they told me that they were a doctor selling things from their fathers estate. I know a few doctors and one thing that never comes up in conversation is that they are a doctor. Then they said when I paid for the milling machine their mover would deliver it. I told them I was very interested and I would like to see the machine. They said it was in a warehouse in Nova Scotia and they would deliver it. I said I would like to see it, I was willing to drive anywhere in Nova Scotia. Road trip!. The response was I could see it when they delivered it. I need not worry as there was a 30 day money back guarantee if I was not happy. So the weight of the machine would exceed 5 tons and I would have to disassemble it or the barn door to get it inside. Another suspicious point was this machine was from the small town I live in. Not 100% impossible it would be there but highly unlikely.

Upnorth

I found that scams when you are the seller start at around $500 & preferably something that can easily be resold.
Had multiple times (like 10+) seller trying to "pay me some electronic way" and then "movers" will come to take it.
Had once fake etransfer email - looked like etransfer but was not. Had once someone use fake stolen driver license. Contacted the actual owner of DL but never got a response.
Few times, but long ago, I had the good old "I send you more & ask for refund" deals.
For $20 and under I usually just leave stuff outside and get $ under the carpet. If they have no cash just e-transfer, I wait for payment to clear - sometimes its almost instant, sometimes 30min.
Do you think if you went though with accepting the money their "movers" would show up? It would really suck to be out the item plus whatever a person refunded them.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I must live a charmed life. I've not been scammed but they have tried. I've sent cash sight unseen AFTER chatting for a while to get a sense of validity. Crooks don't seem to be very patient.

Lots of attempts that didn't pass my Spidey senses.

MrWhoopee

I have recently sold quite a few of my threading tools on FB Marketplace. Most were straight Paypal G&S, one who paid the extra fees, a couple paid F&F. One didn't do Paypal and paid with a USPS money order. Those showed a level of trust that is hard to find and I truly appreciate. I did have one who wanted to send me a code "to prove I was a real seller". Not even sure how that's supposed to work, but I am neither green nor desperate.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
In particular, I would like to know:
1. If you have been cheated of $50-200, will the police record it after calling the police, and will there be follow-up investigation?
2. Will there be serious legal consequences if the fraudster is found?
3. If you insist on trading within the platform, you will not be cheated.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In particular, I would like to know:
1. If you have been cheated of $50-200, will the police record it after calling the police, and will there be follow-up investigation?

Not very likely. The police in Canada seem to be more concerned about giving out traffic tickets and dealing with violent crimes.

2. Will there be serious legal consequences if the fraudster is found?

Not likely.

3. If you insist on trading within the platform, you will not be cheated.

I am very comfortable dealing with my colleagues on the forum. Is that what you meant?