• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool I Feel Old

Tool

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Saw this, already have one, and when I bought it there wasn’t any French on the packaging. Curious how many of us qualify?

78C5A5CF-67C1-45EA-A974-8D189C0F96B3.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Not sure when I bought mine. Id bet closer to 1970.

Box is gone but instructions are English only. I still use them. Not so much for fasteners themselves, but rather to calibrate or quick check other torque wrenches. I should prolly sell them but my wife should prolly sell me too. She might not even get what I'd get for the wrenches.
20230324_171112.jpg

Stellrammer

Those have a place in my tool box, they are relatively accurate. A good way to perform sequential tightening of cylinder heads and such, until the last bit, then the calibrated wrench comes out. I recently bought a 1/4 in drive one, needed 9-15 inch lbs to check a Ford 9 inch after assembly.
I spent a few hours calibrating my 2 clickers , they were out by 3-4 ft lbs.

Everett

Super User
I've had one of these K-D Tools 2955 1/4" beam type torque wrenches for almost 20 years. Used it every time I've built a diff ever since buying it, it was a worthy investment. Actually used it 4 days ago setting up the diff for a 1995 MCI diesel pusher motor coach differential rebuild.
KDT2955_1200Wx1200H.jpg

I've got one too! It's been around so long I can barely remember anything about it's origins! It seems to me I bought it at crappy tire. I don't recall there ever being a box. Probably also from the 70's.

ztw.JPG

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I've had one of these K-D Tools 2955 1/4" beam type torque wrenches for almost 20 years. Used it every time I've built a diff ever since buying it, it was a worthy investment. Actually used it 4 days ago setting up the diff for a 1995 MCI diesel pusher motor coach differential rebuild.
View attachment 32759
I have the exact same one, for the same job. There aren’t many options out there

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Everett & @Chicken lights

These will work for that job, but I'm not advocating them. I actually prefer analog like the ones you and many of us still have.

Still, there are times when something like this works better and is more affordable. I have one like this for my tractor sliding axle bolts, except mine is 800 ft-lbs. I can't imagine what that would look like in the manual analog style...... Prolly 20 ft long!

NEIKO 20741A 1/2” Digital Torque Adapter https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B009GLISI0?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_366RGSP6WN7CPEXMZQCC

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Not sure if mine is Craftsman or Mastercraft, same thing purchased new around 1980. At some point I messed with the pointer, I think it was not reaching as far as it should. I don't use it much anymore, I prefer the click type for convenience, not sure it's as accurate as the old school ones though.

My Xcelite nutdriver set is older I think, I requested those for a birthday gift IIRC in the late 70s and they have given decades of great service, just used one for the gazillionth time.
tw.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't use it much anymore, I prefer the click type for convenience, not sure it's as accurate as the old school ones though.

I'm not convinced that the old school ones are any more accurate. They all need to be calibrated to really trust them.

IMHO, there are two real differences. One is that you can watch yourself creeping up to the settings with these. You can't do that with the clicker type. The second is that you can evenly tighten to an intermediate torque on all fasteners working your way up evenly to the final torque. You can do that with a clicker too, but not nearly so conveniently.