I don't like Mondays, but I really really hate post long weekend Tuesdays.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
It was always this way for me. My awareness as a consumer began when I was about 10 years old. I found some plans in a book at my local library for how to build a crystal radio set. It called for Fahnestock clips. I went all over town trying to source all the parts needed. When I asked for Fahnestock clips people looked at me as though I was from Mars. My Dad saved the day and found some. We built the crystal radio together.
Exactly, building a crystal radio from scratch, was such a fun and rewarding experience. For me the plans came from my older bothers cubs project book. I recall like it was yesterday #22 enamelled wire wound on a 1" wooden dowel, brass tuner and me telling my dad I needed a 250 micro micro farad capacitor and a 1n914 diode, I thought they must be really expensive and probably can't even get them. My dad told me to find an electronic store in the yellow pages and call. I had never called anyone on the phone except a friend or two, so I was really apprehensive my dad pushed me to make the call, so with my trembling little voice I called J&J electronics. The nice man on the other end obviously picked up on the situation and was extra friendly and when on to tell me that they had plenty in stock, so I enquired about the price, and it was something like 25c should cover it. That was my first experience with electronics and it left a very meaningful impression. I was truly amazed when it worked like a charm.

Tom O

Ultra Member
We just used the old rocket radios listening to music as we fell asleep and waking up tangled in speaker wire or having to resolder the earpiece back on.