• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

I always wondered..

I know people get nervous when the green planet saving lithium fires take 35 days to be put out, or super trucks that burn up a National Forest when they run off the road.

I confess that it's worse than I expected.

I'm no fan of EVs. IMHO, they distract us too much from doing the things we need to do to achieve true long term energy security at reasonable cost and low environmental impact.

Well, yes, that was a nice Pyrex dish, as my wife noted. Blew that sucker to bits.

Had to laugh at his comment about being lucky the first time!

Reminded me of Wiley Coyotie's efforts to blow up the road runner.

I remember the days of Homlite chainsaws
Used to empty out a battery into a garbage can, and throw the useless POS into the acid. The Homo's were magnesium and the chemical reaction was hydrogen gas. I used to put a garbage bag over the garbage can and make big balloons. Tie them off tight with a few feet of black powder fuse in the neck. Then light the fuse, and release them up in the sky about 10pm at night.

One brilliant white flash, huge boom, dogs barking and lights coming on all over the place...:D:) the good old days...

I’ve been watching when I go into Costco and I haven’t seen rechargeable batteries for a good year since the scooters have become popular just the throw away kind.

I remember the days of Homlite chainsaws
Used to empty out a battery into a garbage can, and throw the useless POS into the acid. The Homo's were magnesium and the chemical reaction was hydrogen gas. I used to put a garbage bag over the garbage can and make big balloons. Tie them off tight with a few feet of black powder fuse in the neck. Then light the fuse, and release them up in the sky about 10pm at night.

One brilliant white flash, huge boom, dogs barking and lights coming on all over the place...:D:) the good old days...
Early Volkswagen engines had Magnesium casings. There were a fair few reports of multi-million candlepower Vee-Dubs out on the roadside!

FWIW, if you are involved in casting at all, scrounge some Vinegar packets from any fast food joint. You can readily ID Magnesium by scraping a area of it to shiny clean metal, and apply some vinegar to the spot. Magnesium will react and turn a smutty purple color, aluminum won't.

I changed the battery in my daughters iPhone, I barely touched the battery and it went off in a similar fashion to the video, no explosion but a fireball and incredible amount of toxic smoke. I figured the phone was done at that point. Surprisingly because the two halves of the phone were separated and the battery sits in a very thin metal plate (the back cover), the phone survived the fireball, it did melt a flat cable for the volume control, however you can control the volume through the controls on the display, so the iPhone is still in use. The fireball was about 6" high and really scary.

I have a few of those very same Lithium cells powering cameras screwed to a few spot on and around my house. Quite a lot of energy inside that little cell from the looks of it.

As pointed out in 'Stranger in a Strange Land', it's not the amount of energy stored that is as important as the time it took to release it.
The energy stored in a piece of firewood could level Ottawa (tempting) if released in a millionth of a second.
I changed the battery in my daughters iPhone, I barely touched the battery and it went off in a similar fashion to the video, no explosion but a fireball and incredible amount of toxic smoke. I figured the phone was done at that point. Surprisingly because the two halves of the phone were separated and the battery sits in a very thin metal plate (the back cover), the phone survived the fireball, it did melt a flat cable for the volume control, however you can control the volume through the controls on the display, so the iPhone is still in use. The fireball was about 6" high and really scary.
The smoke is very toxic. And I never carry my cell phone around and now I know why :) For what reason were you changing the battery? A dead short will cause them to blow, or overcharging. You are supposed to limit charging to 80% for regular use, and usually you have a setting somewhere on the phone to do this.
I remember reading on the net somewhere that a cell phone battery can poison an acre of land. I was researching it because a green disciple was throwing his dead cell battery in the garbage.

They probably got the idea from the movie “ fifth element “ after he can’t board the craft, telling his boss that it won’t happen again and the boss replies “ no it won’t “ as he punches in the destruct code.

Back