• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Hydraulic Rod

Tips/Techniques

Shoprat

Friend just gave me a lifetime supply of hydraulic cylinder rod. What insert do u use? Have heard of guys using ceramic,,,,,, like that’s cheap and easily come by. Was hoping just to do a .050 cut at .008 tir with a regular insert. Induction hardening is supposedly only .050 thick on a 1.5 inch rod. Thoughts?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Friend just gave me a lifetime supply of hydraulic cylinder rod. What insert do u use? Have heard of guys using ceramic,,,,,, like that’s cheap and easily come by. Was hoping just to do a .050 cut at .008 tir with a regular insert. Induction hardening is supposedly only .050 thick on a 1.5 inch rod. Thoughts?

Quite frankly I have not had good success turning hydraulic cylinder rods. They are plentiful in old farm machinery, but regular carbide inserts and HSS are usually toast before I can even get going. For me, it's cheaper to buy regular steel rod at a steel supplier.

Many rods are either chromed or nitrided and hard as diamond. Just kidding but you get the idea....

Therefore, I'll be following your question hoping someone can provide good advice.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The bit of hydraulic cylinder I've turned seemed nearly impossible on the outside but if I got underneath the surface it turned fine.

Shoprat

Quite frankly I have not had good success turning hydraulic cylinder rods. They are plentiful in old farm machinery, but regular carbide inserts and HSS are usually toast before I can even get going. For me, it's cheaper to buy regular steel rod at a steel supplier.

Many rods are either chromed or nitrided and hard as diamond. Just kidding but you get the idea....

Therefore, I'll be following your question hoping someone can provide good advice.
I hear you!!!! Ceramic inserts at 30$ a pc go a long way to buying rod. Heard that kncr u got through all the hardening etc it was ok, but getting there

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I can probably help with this. I machine hydraulic rods at my day job. The Secret is to try and get under the hard outer layer in one pass at low speed and then the center part of the rod is actually pretty soft. On a 3.25" rod I take .25" off in the first pass at 80 rpm with a sandvik CNMG insert. The PR chip breaker lasts a long time .031 corner rad. You will need coolant and a rigid machine but you don't need anything fancy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
On a 3.25" rod I take .25" off in the first pass at 80 rpm with a sandvik CNMG insert. The PR chip breaker lasts a long time .031 corner rad. You will need coolant and a rigid machine but you don't need anything fancy.

1/4" in one pass eh...... :oops:

What feed rate? Most of what I get is 1.25 to 1.50. Maybe the odd 2" rod.

What would you cut that at?

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

I turn a lot of cylinder rod. I have a lot. It is a nice metal, probably 1008. It is quite soft.

Exception is some rod for aircraft - these seem hardened and of alloy steel - i.e. not easy to turn.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I turn a lot of cylinder rod. I have a lot. It is a nice metal, probably 1008. It is quite soft.

Exception is some rod for aircraft - these seem hardened and of alloy steel - i.e. not easy to turn.

That's really strange. I'd think most rod is like mine. Not soft at all. They are just standard 3000psi hydraulic cylinders.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
That's really strange. I'd think most rod is like mine. Not soft at all. They are just standard 3000psi hydraulic cylinders.

Mine is usually from things like caterpillar control rods. Some are form just regular hydraulic cylinders. Maybe the idea here is that I just remove the top layer rather quick and deal with the soft interior.

It can also be subjective - I deal a lot with 4140 and 4330 - so anything softer than these is ... soft.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I have ran into a lot of Hydraulic Cylinder RODS that are case hardened and ground.
The better finish enables a longer life for the rod seals.
The rods themselves are generally ‘low carbon’ for toughness, while the case hardening is generally 1/32-1/4” deep, depending on the rod diameter.

We have a few TIGERCAT plants in the Cambridge area.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
1/4" in one pass eh...... :oops:

What feed rate? Most of what I get is 1.25 to 1.50. Maybe the odd 2" rod.

What would you cut that at?
Low sfm. 70sfm works good for what I am cutting. That means a 1.5" rod would machine well at 180rpm. Keep the feed rate high. Ten or fourteen tho. Per revolution. The hard exterior is chrome on the rods I am machining and is about .125 thick.