• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-BC Hunting for Fortal...

British Columbia
Type
Supplies

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Fortal (a zinc alloy derivative of 7075) is a high strength aluminum alloy used extensively in the aerospace industry.

I'm looking for a source in Canada (BC preferably) who would stock small pieces of bar, sheet & rod. Offcuts from a scrap bin would work too.

Metal Stupidmarkets is no help, at least not without discussing it with my bank manager first.

Any leads?

Don

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Fortal (a zinc alloy derivative of 7075) is a high strength aluminum alloy used extensively in the aerospace industry.

I'm looking for a source in Canada (BC preferably) who would stock small pieces of bar, sheet & rod. Offcuts from a scrap bin would work too.

Metal Stupidmarkets is no help, at least not without discussing it with my bank manager first.

Any leads?

Don
IIRC Aircraft Spruce Canada used to sell it. have you looked there yet?

Last edited:

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Didn't think to look there. But no they only stock Alclad (the honeycomb cored bulkhead sheets).

The hunt continues....

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Didn't think to look there. But no they only stock Alclad (the honeycomb cored bulkhead sheets).

The hunt continues....
I believe that the alloy number for Fortal is 7075-T73. That may help your search rather than the name. Online metals in the US has sheet products

I know I've seen it sold in Canada... just need to jog the little grey cells into spitting out the place

data on the alloy

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was just on AS&S. On rods I think just 6061 & 2024. Actually their 2024 is similar in CAD than what I see on USA suppliers like OLM & Speedy, but that doesnt do you any good, different alloy

for offcuts depending on length you might be better off on ebay. I am just in the process of working up some links, there are quite a few interesting prospects. But I already know its going to have to go to my USA intermediary address. Coming direct to Canada varies from will not ship to atrocious $$

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They say cut to length in the bottom box. If you do get a reasonable quote, please lest us know.

Try EMJ Metals

Be forewarned because of the small quanties you will likely be paying a premium as there are minimums.

When I buy 6000 series product I typically buy 5-10k at a time.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
They say cut to length in the bottom box. If you do get a reasonable quote, please lest us know.

That's who I was trying to remember. Near the 427 and 407 in north etobicoke.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Be forewarned because of the small quanties you will likely be paying a premium as there are minimums.
When I buy 6000 series product I typically buy 5-10k at a time.

'there are minimums' - are you speaking generally? or specific to ASA? or....?
The OP is looking for small pieces of bar, offcuts...

From the main suppliers unfortunately yes, minimum purchase wt or $.

The best method is find a shop that has of cuts and pay what they want likely still cheaper than Minimums or MS prices.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Thyssenkrupp went to a line item minimum last year. That sucked. We order a lot of 1-2 item odd ball size big blocks of 6061, and for a while it was really bending us over on top of the +40% al went up.

You could try them, but be sitting down.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Looks like US eBay is a source. Prices are nuts and the shipping prohibitive.

Still looking for a Canadian source of 7075-T73 Fortal 1-2" rounds, 1/2 - 2" bar, 1/4" plate. Small pieces <36"

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks like US eBay is a source. Prices are nuts and the shipping prohibitive.
There is usually a price difference between using Ebay.ca & stated shipping to Canada (assuming they will even bother) and Ebay.com shipping to a border service & paying from there. Sometimes even with the same Seller. I'm not saying it will be beneficial in all cases. It really depends on what you are after, where you are located & if you want to or can use an intermediary. That is the extent of my bag of tricks. Best of luck finding what you are after. If you find any useful new resources, please let us know.

trevj

Ultra Member

The hunt continues....
Maybe you ought to do some research to see what it got called by the 'rest of the world'. A lot of specific alloy + heat treat combos got stuck with Branded 'Trade Names', but were otherwise not very unique. (edit: Ooops, saw that!....)

Alclad has not a thing to do exclusively, with Honeycomb cored composites, but is a layer of pure Aluminum on both sides of an alloy core, usually specified in the name, eg: 2024-t3 Alclad. The pure Al. is more resistant to corrosion.

Though, it may be the outer layer of a honeycomb composite!

So, what you are actually looking for, is 7075-T73. You will have a better chance of finding it, if that is what you ask for.

If you cannot get -T73, and this is for a contract, see what mat subs they will accept, Have seen listings for up to -T11, and spec sheets for higher than that. Pretty sure most of what I have on hand is -T651, I have a few square feet of 2 1/4 plate, plus a pile of offcuts.

Last edited: