• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Huge Old Drill Press with a pile of Morse Taper Drills $300

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That’s a beast! Look at that motor and the belt drive. Very interesting. You’ve got big drill bits when they stick out of a 5 gallon pail. I think it has power down feed? I imagine you would need it. Thanks John.

I wish I had room for it. Kevin! @kevin.decelles this is for you!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Haha that would be totally inappropriate for me but at that price I think it would be worth it just to tinker with it and clean it up. I bet it was good a drilling big holes. Massive chunk of iron there.

Good thing (at least from my wife's point of view) I am not close to Calgary and don't have the room for such a thing!!!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
That is excellent price for this drill. I am tempted to offer him some $$ for just the drill bits. It is old style drill press but great at making holes. I already have radial arm to drill big stuff.

Note that without belt guards these are not workplace safe - they can only be used in homeshop environment - this could dictate the price.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
Fifteen years ago it would've already been in my shop but now I have an aversion to handling heavy stuff.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
If I had more space I would get that. Plus moving those things safely is a logistics nightmare.
72889228_702632900230073_4643635408263970816_o.jpg

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah I should anchor my radial arm drill to concrete or I end up with it on the side. It was a pain to move - they are top heavy and you feel like they are going to fall at any moment. Far harder then a milling machine. There are videos online about different methods of moving them - one method is by hooks connected to the bed (where the box connects).

My dad's garage is too small for it... so space issues. I may have space for it but I want to use it for something else. Price is excellent!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
There is a video on youtube where one of well known machinist moves massive radial. Cable breaks as he does it and the thing drops like 2ft from him ... its like 5t+ drill.... massive. He fixed it up later on, mostly motor mount.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Good Halloween scary video. you must mean this one Tom:
good ol boy for sure. zoom to about 6 min. that was a good day - he's not dead. I'm no rigger either so no criticism. scary scary... must be oct 31.

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
That picture was on my Facebook this week. But at the last shop I worked at they tipped over the radial arm drill press while running it twice before they finally bolted it to the ground

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When I saw that video all I could think was that he was working around the radial drill with body parts under it. THAT'S insane! and he nearly bought it!

He's normally a very intelligent guy (Sr Prof Engineer), but he let his guard down.