Huge Old Drill Press with a pile of Morse Taper Drills $300

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That’s a beast! Look at that motor and the belt drive. Very interesting. You’ve got big drill bits when they stick out of a 5 gallon pail. I think it has power down feed? I imagine you would need it. Thanks John.

I wish I had room for it. Kevin! @kevin.decelles this is for you!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Haha that would be totally inappropriate for me but at that price I think it would be worth it just to tinker with it and clean it up. I bet it was good a drilling big holes. Massive chunk of iron there.

Good thing (at least from my wife's point of view) I am not close to Calgary and don't have the room for such a thing!!!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
That is excellent price for this drill. I am tempted to offer him some $$ for just the drill bits. It is old style drill press but great at making holes. I already have radial arm to drill big stuff.

Note that without belt guards these are not workplace safe - they can only be used in homeshop environment - this could dictate the price.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
Fifteen years ago it would've already been in my shop but now I have an aversion to handling heavy stuff.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
If I had more space I would get that. Plus moving those things safely is a logistics nightmare.
72889228_702632900230073_4643635408263970816_o.jpg

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah I should anchor my radial arm drill to concrete or I end up with it on the side. It was a pain to move - they are top heavy and you feel like they are going to fall at any moment. Far harder then a milling machine. There are videos online about different methods of moving them - one method is by hooks connected to the bed (where the box connects).

My dad's garage is too small for it... so space issues. I may have space for it but I want to use it for something else. Price is excellent!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
There is a video on youtube where one of well known machinist moves massive radial. Cable breaks as he does it and the thing drops like 2ft from him ... its like 5t+ drill.... massive. He fixed it up later on, mostly motor mount.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Good Halloween scary video. you must mean this one Tom:
good ol boy for sure. zoom to about 6 min. that was a good day - he's not dead. I'm no rigger either so no criticism. scary scary... must be oct 31.

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
That picture was on my Facebook this week. But at the last shop I worked at they tipped over the radial arm drill press while running it twice before they finally bolted it to the ground

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When I saw that video all I could think was that he was working around the radial drill with body parts under it. THAT'S insane! and he nearly bought it!

He's normally a very intelligent guy (Sr Prof Engineer), but he let his guard down.